Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,296   Posts: 1,535,712   Online: 924

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by el wacho View Post
    'the Reflective practitioner' Donald Schön...
    I don't see the link with photography.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

What C.E.K. Mees did not want to say, Robert Shanebrook managed to show. In the reviews section of the website, a former Kodak Park general manager aptly points that "You realize that in the not too distant past you would have been shot for even considering such a volume".

Covering all steps of the process, this book is pretty much all you can read and see on the large-scale manufacturing and coating of film emulsions.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    William Mortensen: The Command to Look: A formula for picture success, 1937

William Mortensen: Mortensen on the Negative

Ansel Adams: The Negative

It is surprising how similar results these two completely different approaches give. And that, I think, may well be the reason for the hostility.

I'll add one more I have learned a lot from:

Willi Beutler: Meine Dunkelkammer-Praxis
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I love Mortensen, because he was always ready to admit that he was making pictures, above everything the diktats of photographic reproduction may have claimed as the exclusive province of the medium. But I guess even Adams stopped at some point believing he was making "straight" photography.

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    bookmarked, this needs to be a sticky!

now just give me a year or 2 to go find and read these...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Newt_on_Swings View Post
    bookmarked, this needs to be a sticky!

now just give me a year or 2 to go find and read these...
    That's what grad studies are for!

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I obviously mentioned them but not explicitly:

• Anchell, Steve and Bill Troop. The Film Developing Cookbook. Focal Press : 1999. 163 pages.
    • Anchell, Steve. The Darkroom Cookbook. 3rd Ed. Focal Press: 2008. 392 pages.
    • Hutchins, Gordon. The Book of Pyro. Bitter Dog Press: 1992. 100 pages

The first two are essentially boiled-down, practical formulations of a lot of knowledge that one can find in Haist, in the Photo-Lab index, and similar works quoted above, but they are totalizing in the sense that, for the general practitioner, they can suffice as touchstones.

The FDC is laudable for its exhaustive, though concise categorization of films, developers, and chemicals. It's often the first eye-opener for the film enthusiast who has been wondering all along why there are many similar products on the shelves. For me, it gave me my basic understanding of photo chemistry, the parameters which actually enabled me to follow Haist without getting lost.

The DC is like a zoom-out from the FDC: spending less time on the intricacies of film, it gives you the broader picture of darkroom work, and how things relate to each other. Since the Photo-Lab Index is now out of print, it's also the most exhaustive, non-Internet list of formulae with commentary that you will find in print.

I have some beefs here and there with Anchell, since he sometimes moves into editorializing mode, and is also sometimes victim to the rumour, but he's forgiven for the value of his contribution.

I don't have much to say, in conclusion on the BoP, since I haven't read it, but it strikes me as yet another book with a totalizing enterprise: to communicate all that can be known on the topic of pyro developers. I might get it one day, not necessarily to switch to pyro, but to learn about this developer's lore and mystique.

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Of all the filters manufacturer, B+W are the only one to have put online a coherent guidebook on their huge filter inventory. I've got some printed Kodak guides, but they do not get as exhaustive as this. Whereas Kodak tends to give general characteristics, the B+W guide characterizes precisely every single filter, so you finally get to know the difference in purpose between a KR1.5 and a KR5 filter (and no it's not a full conversion filter for tungsten film in daylight!).

Their classification is logical, and many important distinctions are drawn. Unlike the rather obscure Kodak/Wratten numbering schemes, B+W's is extremely systematic and regular. Even if you use other brands, this guide book will help you map clearly the purpose of the various light balancing, contrast, colour correction, and other filters. Finally, precise transmission curves for ALL filters are drawn, and a very tight product table helps figuring out availability (it's surprising how many filters are still made in Bay I for instance).

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's not often that a new high-quality reference book gets published, but I just got wind of this one today:

• Pénichon, Sylvie. Twentieth-Century Color Photographs: Identification and Care. Getty Conservation Institute: 2013, 360.

It covers all the possible (and mostly dead) analog colour processes, how to identify them, how to store them, how to preserve them, their history, and so forth. Has useful timelines, lots of hitherto hard to find information, an excellent first chapter on the muddled early days of colour photography in the 19th century, and lots and lots of reproductions and microscope pictures.

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Fred Picker full volume notes are a fantastic read.- I have three binders complete I believe
    I like all of Tim Rudmans offerings
    I like all of Eddie Ephrams - Gradient Light - Creative Elements
    Darkroom 2 - Lustrum press
    platinum palladium- Dick Arentz
    History and Practice of Platinum Printing- Luis Nadeau

Nice thread by the way Michel I will find the ones I do not have, I have a good selection of what is posted.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin