Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,558   Posts: 1,545,237   Online: 876

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Wow. That is exactly the kind of thing I'd like to attend. Detail, detail, and more detail!

Sorry about the White Castle print. Yikes, 16x20 too... Wow.

I have two 8x10s, one of Petit's Mobil Station and one of Strand Theater. They are both relatively recent prints I ordered directly from him through Afterimage gallery. It is interesting to see how differently he prints Mobil Station these days compared to vintage prints of that negative from the 70s. I had the opportunity to see a vintage one at the Weston Gallery in Carmel and it was very different, with a much lighter sky. Personally I prefer that earlier version but oh well. About two years ago I ordered an 11x14 of "Meadowlands from Secaucus" from him and the print he sent me was actually vintage!! I guess it's not that popular

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nice collection there Michael. We bought the White Castle print directly from Tice. In those days he said he didn't print until a print order came in. He then made the print for each specific order. I'm sure he must have some printed and ready to though. I know that the White Castle print was on Agfa Brovira. He always said that every image had a paper it looked best on. He really liked Kodak Ektalure in those days. I went to a lecture he gave a couple of tears ago in West Pasterson. He had just published Paterson II. I asked what papers he was using, since Agfa was gone. He said he had a stock of Forte, and he was also printing on Ilford Multigrade. I should have asked him if it was warm tone or not. I am no fan of Ilford Multigrade, although the warm tone is pretty good.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I love George Tice's work! I think he is great.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That's exactly the type of information I'm interested in. I knew he used a variety of papers in the old days, but was always curious about whether he still used different papers for different images, even if the subject matter was along similar lines, such as all the reproduction prints he must have made for Urban Landscapes. I mostly use Ilford MG (not warmtone) but have always been curious about the color he gets. Not sure if it is Ilford Warmtone or not, and what degree of toning (assuming selenium) he uses on those images. The live prints seem to be neutral to slightly warm, but subtly so, more like a rich warm-neutral. Difficult to describe. The color really appeals to me.

I wonder if I could somehow contact him through Afterimage gallery and pay him some large amount of money in exchange for an afternoon of Q&A.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kubach View Post
    I love George Tice's work! I think he is great.

Jeff
    Me too!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin