Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,927   Posts: 1,585,160   Online: 830

Page 10 of 34 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314151620 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    Quite frankly many of the more prolific posters (images as well) many of whom already exhibit or are published widely just wouldn't bother if it's a juried publication, that's from actual private discussions over the past 2-3 days.

Don't take that as being against Michael Smith's offers for the publishing that's got to be a good possibility, however I would be vehemently against his having any part in selecting images.

Ian
    Why would you be so violently opposed to him being the selector? Or is it just the idea of having it done this way? I don't know anything about how these things are supposed to work, but I don't understand how you can do it any other way besides some kind of jury-type thing. At the end of the day it's a photo competition like any other. And if you're saying the prolific image posters feel they are above being selected, then it is not really an APUG book they are interested in. It's simply a book of photos by a small circle of prolific friends on APUG.

My first posting on this thread did say that in part I expected hostility and a "who does he think he is" response and here it is.

Ian, I am curious. Why would you be vehemently against my having anything to do with selecting the photographs to be in an APUG book. Do you not think I can be objective? Do you think my taste is limited? Or is there another reason?

You do not know me. You have no idea what I know about our beloved medium, about its history, about contemporary practices, about what makes a fine photograph.

Is your reason that you would like to do it? Well, then, organize it and do it! I do not need to volunteer my time and expertise for this. I will get nothing out of it besides the pleasure of putting a book together except aggravation and a great deal of time spent away from my own work.

Michael A. Smith

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thought I would chime in again to hopefully help move this ahead and build on the ideas so far in this thread. I think it is time to start making a few decisions and propose we separate the issues at hand:

1) Let’s set a submission time frame – call for submissions open August 1st, 2011 and closes September 30th, 2011.
    2) Judging of entries – that would give us roughly two months to come to an agreement on the best method of judging and get the person/people in place to do so. I don’t have any idea who is qualified and whether a panel of three, or five or however many is the right option. Also, whether this can be judged from jpeg submissions. Maybe for the first go around, then higher resolution images or actual print submissions for the final rounds of judging. I’ll need someone with more expertise than I to chime in here. Timeframe, one month? Two months?
    3) Preparation for the book – format, layout, graphic design, etc. Again, I have no expertise in these areas, so I’ll need others to contribute here.

I can help with item number 1. It was suggested that people submit jpeg images to begin with for the initial judging process. If this is acceptable to the majority, how about I create an email address for images to be sent to – apugphotobook2011@yahoo.ca. To keep things anonymous, I will create a spreadsheet to keep track of all the entries and assign each image a random number/letter designation. Periodically the images could be uploaded to an APUG gallery. Or I can hold on to all of them until the deadline and then pass them along to the judging team. I will have no part in the judging process other than to hold the spreadsheet.

From some of the suggestions in this thread I agree there should be a couple rules in place for the submissions:
    1) Open to subscribers only.
    2) My feeling is that it shouldn’t be limited to one image per person, so I think a three image per person maximum is fair.
    3) Same format of image naming, so I can keep track of them in the database. Maybe APUG PB 2011 – Photographers Name – 01.jpg?

As the submission period progresses we can start to see how much interest there is and start to make some more realistic decisions about costs.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
    Craig
    Please note, no digital photographers were harmed in the posting of this message.

My Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/58094723@N02/
    (you can just ignore the digital images)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Michael, I feel that the selection shouldn't be juried, at leasr not all of it, I'm just totally against one person making the selection regardless of who they are.

I can turn your comment "You do not know me. You have no idea what I know about our beloved medium, about its history, about contemporary practices, about what makes a fine photograph" back the other way it works both directions. However I'm not doubting your credentials. Once the images have been chossen, regardless of the means there's the very much harder task of sequencing and editing/laying out the publication.

As things stand there's still been virtually no input from the more prolific posters on this forum. There's core fundemental issues being over looked.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The basic problem here is that the whole idea was only proposed a week ago. Many people who might be keen to submit an image or buy a book probably haven't even seen the thread yet. Surely a bit more opportunity for the wider APUG membership to give their thoughts cannot be a bad thing?

I would certainly be willing to buy a nice APUG book, and to contribute if selected. It's also great to see the enthusiasm of Joel and Michael. But I just don't see the need to bed this thing down in record time.

I quite like the idea of some sort of annual APUG yearbook - one image per photographer, selected from all gallery submissions made during the year. Just a thought.

Ian

Ian: I am pleased to know your comment wasn't personal, although I did take it that way. I don't know how many books you have published, but sequencing and designing the book (laying it out in your terms) would take a day or two, tops, if someone knows what they are doing. Editing text right could take quite a while, but if the book were just photographs, in a couple of days it could be finished.

Not juried? A book of just so-so photographs would not do APUG any good at all and who would want to buy a book if there were a bunch of unjuried so-so photographs? Any serious book would need to be juried.

Someone quoted a Blurb book at around $50. My understanding is that that figure is more or less correct. Why anyone would want to go that way--lesser quality, more expensive, is a mystery to me.

Michael A. Smith

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael A. Smith View Post

Not juried? A book of just so-so photographs would not do APUG any good at all and who would want to buy a book if there were a bunch of unjuried so-so photographs? Any serious book would need to be juried.

Michael A. Smith
    Apologies it was not meant to be personal.

Juried means a competition, this should not be a competion. In itself that wouldn't produce the best overall book of APUG images. Selecting the most appropriate images from individual subscribers though is quite different and personally I'd prefer to see this done by a group of people

Ian David suggested that the images scould be selected from the Galleries here on APUG, obviously higher res scans would be required for publication. How that could be done or alternatives needs a great deal of discussion.

As things stand current propsals run the risk of the best images not being submitted.

Ian
    Last edited by Ian Grant; 07-24-2011 at 11:23 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typo

Shooter
    Large Format
    what could be done is a list compiled of all gallery + portfolio submitters in the past few years,
    and a blanket "PM" be sent to them all to let them know of this thread and the opportunity to be
    published in a high-end coffee table type book as part of the 10 year apug celebration.
    this thread, while it has remained on track, lacks the input from the greater apug membership
    the same people who would be submitting work for the book project.
    without a wide net being cast
    the membership at large ( subscriber and general member ) has no idea about what is going on.

maybe a well crafted "please read" post that pops up when people sign in
    with their use name / password

if the book is going to be representative to the site as a whole
    then it would be best if the site as a whole knows about it ...

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    As one of the contributors to - and buyers of - the LFPhoto.info book, I think that with a little care Blurb does a more than adequate job.

Face it - this is a "vanity project" for members of a net forum. A well curated book with photos by selected photographers who happen to be members of this forum is an entirely different matter, one I feel would NOT be representative of the forum. If it isn't intended to show the variety and diversity of this bunch, I am not interested in participating nor buying it.

Oh - and if you think Blurb isn't good enoug, buy THIS BOOK before you make up your mind.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Ole makes a lot of sense .
    Not sure that one/two person curating this book is a good idea.
    My solarizations probably wouldn't make the cut with certain editors and that would piss me off.
    I like the idea the OP is getting at, My facility hosted the first APUG conference and running it with John Callow was an eye opener.
    Give this some time, get a better idea how to do it and I think a lot of people will get on board.

Why I would not send Prints!
    each of my prints are part of a series of 3, I would not casually send them off to someone to handle ,, bad idea, I am sure there are many here who feel this way about their prints.

Quote Originally Posted by Ole View Post
    As one of the contributors to - and buyers of - the LFPhoto.info book, I think that with a little care Blurb does a more than adequate job.

Face it - this is a "vanity project" for members of a net forum. A well curated book with photos by selected photographers who happen to be members of this forum is an entirely different matter, one I feel would NOT be representative of the forum. If it isn't intended to show the variety and diversity of this bunch, I am not interested in participating nor buying it.

Oh - and if you think Blurb isn't good enoug, buy THIS BOOK before you make up your mind.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin