Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,707   Posts: 1,548,542   Online: 952

Page 11 of 34 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415161721 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    One of the attractions of APUG, to me, is a diverse membership.

I enjoy seeing unusual and sometimes funny images. There are images from new printer to the experienced pros. There are "holy cow, that's beautiful" to "why would you even want to...." (to me) kind of images. What is not to forget is, they are equally proud of their accomplishments thus far and deservingly so. It's a hobby. It's about experiment. It's all about putting images in our own mind to paper. There is more to photography than creating museum quality works of art.

If this book is going to be a collection of museum quality, top notch works of art, I'm sorry, I do not want it. Quite honestly, I think we are aiming too high on this project.

Here's my suggestion.

How about setting up a gallery for this project and upload images. Set number of images that will be in the book. Rate them by our subscribers on "I want to see this in APUG book" scores. At a cut off date, pull photos from the gallery in order of highest score to the lowest until the required number is met. Notify the "winners" and collect comments from them. Put them together and send it to Blurb or one of many self-publishing companies.
    Last edited by tkamiya; 07-24-2011 at 11:14 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Carnie View Post
    Ole makes a lot of sense .
    Not sure that one/two person curating this book is a good idea.
    My solarizations probably wouldn't make the cut with certain editors and that would piss me off.
    That's the key point I've been making, there's many of the more active Subscribers who would take major offence if their work wasn't included, didn't make the cut.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My urban landscape/architecture prints wouldn't make the cut either. It's not a popular subject. But I'm pretty sure they'd have even less of a chance making the cut if the selection was not juried. Ian, I really don't understand what you're getting at here. You keep talking about the prolific posters. I don't understand what that has to do with anything, unless I'm really just missing the entire point to begin with. There is a relatively small circle responsible for most of what is posted to the gallery. So what are you saying, that means they are great photographers, great printers? It seems you are essentially proposing a book by prolific APUG posters. Ok I guess. Not sure what the point is. I'm the first to say photographic contests are usually nonsense. But I don't see how else you can do this. Anyway good luck with this.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm simply saying that a juried selection is flawed because work won't be submitted by many because of it.

Yes there's a need for selection but that's very different.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    I don't think I would contribute to any project but, again, that's my two cents:

TWO projects to be run at the same time, by two different teams.

The "vanity project": no selection, two images per photographer, photographer can choose to select himself the picture or to be "helped" by somebody with a more "trained" eye, whatever that means. To be printed with a POD site, within a year. Photographers send high-resolution scans. I don't think this project can really "fail" as I think it's not difficult to find a few dozens photographers for this project. Name of book to reflect the general variety of material, something like "What do we do at APUG".

The "quality project": a one-person, or two-person panel, as outlined in previous posts, makes the selection according to his own personal aesthetic taste among the pictures that are submitted for anonymous evaluation. If the project reaches the numbers needed for a high-quality print at a decent price the project goes on, else it fails. Name to reflect the subjective nature of the selective process, name must not imply concept of "best of APUG" lest non-participating or non-selected APUG contributors are irritated, but rather be something like "APUG work: a personal view" or "A personal walk in the APUG gallery" or something like that.

Nobody would prevent the same photographer to participate in both projects, and his pictures to appear in both books (that would happen occasionally, we might expect the two books to have different content, generally speaking).

That would end the argument about which book to make, and would have people (not me) start working on the actual stuff. It's the future steps which will tell if a project is feasible.

Just an idea
    Fabrizio

PS Once participation details are outlined, a mass-mailing can be made by APUG to members to inform all of them about both projects.
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have been putting some thought into this over the past few days and I think that I may have answer that will either placate or add fuel.

The main idea for a book has turned into a 10th anniversary tribute. The biggest problem we are having it seems is who is to be in it. What if we found ten active members or moderators who have been here since the onset? If there is a "competition" then it would be minimal with only a few people rather than the entire forum. In my mind this would be more fitting as we would be able to get anecdotes from each of them of the early days and how things have changed.

We could let them each showcase maybe ten prints that spans the ten years they have been here. I think that would tie in perfectly with a tenth anniversary.
    Thy heart -- thy heart! -- I wake and sigh,
    And sleep to dream till day
    Of the truth that gold can never buy
    Of the bawbles that it may.

www.silverhalidephotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I really think this needs to go back to the drawing board. Decide first, why we are doing this. What is to be represented. Then move on to who should make the selection, an individual, a group of people, or voting. Then who, what, and how much.

We are discussing too many things at the same time. It's great someone who does this for living has volunteered but there is no consensus among the membership on that either - and that alone became a major sticking point. We already have members angry that their work is not going to be in it, and it hasn't even begun.

I'm sorry.... great initial idea but from there on, nothing has worked or agreed upon. I suggest scrapping everything and starting over.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

I cannot understand how anyone could possibly think that their solarized prints would "automatically" not be considered if I selected the work. If they are good pictures, of course they would be included. I am not in the least interested in how photographs are made. I am interested in pictures. Good pictures. They can be black and white contact prints or enlargements, color work, transparancies or prints from negatives. solarizations, cyanotypes, daguerrotypes, wet plate, etc., etc., anything at all. In the final analysis, the tools and process used to make photographs matter not a bit. it is the picture that counts. Craft is certainly important, but craft is not the same as process.

Michael A. Smith

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tkamiya View Post
    We already have members angry that their work is not going to be in it, and it hasn't even begun.
    Some Members Would Be Angry, If You Said The Sky Is Blue ...

Ron

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael A. Smith View Post
    I cannot understand how anyone could possibly think that their solarized prints would "automatically" not be considered if I selected the work.
    Michael A. Smith
    You're deliberately making it so that any coments to this question sound personal. It's not about you because at this stage opinions are still being added there's been no collective decisions on how the project could be put together, selected or published.

We've no idea how many would contribute and so far there have been suprisingly few people who've posted interest on the two threads, that seems to indicate already that a higher cost publication would be very risky and potentially unviable.

The most sensible suggestions so far are the Blurb (or similar) option because there's little monetary outlay (it would be mostly time) and there's no financial risks. There's also the option of splitting up the publication into more than one volume if the number of contributors is higher. There would be far more room for flexibility.

Back to the point though I can't see any need what so ever for the publication to be juried, there's no need for it to be a competition. That would not be a true reflection of APUG's Subscribers work and th rich diversity. The publications made by other foums weren't juried either.

There would still be a need for selection preferably by a small panel to ensure a high standard but that could be done by asking Subscribers to put forward a number of possible images.

Ian

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin