Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,592   Posts: 1,546,072   Online: 931

Page 15 of 34 FirstFirst ... 5910111213141516171819202125 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mooseontheloose View Post
    Okay everyone, I've created a survey, here's the link: APUG survey. I've also started a new thread with the link.

I know it's not perfect, but it's a place to start -- we may have to do more later (or none at all). If there are any glaring errors, please let me know.

Excellent!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ian, my thought exactly. As it is now the survey is skewed toward a POD book because the variable in cost for the art book have yet to be determined.

I know that at the moment people are probably thinking two things and one of them is cost. For the Lodima book to be viable we have to have numbers. How many artist to be involved and how many will commit to purchase. If we have a hard time bringing those numbers up by expanding awareness on APUG then we should have an alternative plan in place.

Rachelle, the survey is a good starting point for raising awareness amongst the members.
    Thy heart -- thy heart! -- I wake and sigh,
    And sleep to dream till day
    Of the truth that gold can never buy
    Of the bawbles that it may.

www.silverhalidephotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    We could also use Facebook to our " Advantage ".
    Only 1,323 Likes on The APUG FanPage.
    Only 86 of my friends like APUG.

At this moment we have 51,728 APUG Members, I would expect a bit more support ...

United We Stand, Divided We Fall

Ron

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Good idea. I'm not a big user of FB but I know alot of people do. How would you go about setting that up?
    Thy heart -- thy heart! -- I wake and sigh,
    And sleep to dream till day
    Of the truth that gold can never buy
    Of the bawbles that it may.

www.silverhalidephotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by guitstik View Post
    Good idea. I'm not a big user of FB but I know alot of people do. How would you go about setting that up?
    I Don't Know ...
    I'm sure we'll have an answer forthwith !

Ron

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    there is a traditional photography "group" ( read: APUG ) on linkedin as well
    maybe it can be mentioned there too ...
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    there is a traditional photography "group" ( read: APUG ) on linkedin as well
    maybe it can be mentioned there too ...
    We Need To Spread The Word, And Share Our Enthusiasm !

Ron

Regarding cost: It is impossible to determine the cost of a fine book printed in offset until the number of pages is known, the size of the pages, the size of the print run, the amount of pre-press work needed, and other things. And these things cannot be known until the book is put together.

This I do know, however. If a sufficient number of books can be sold to the over 50,000 folks who signed up at here at APUG, the cost per book will be significantly less expensive than a POD book.

A couple of years ago a friend was going to get a POD book made in 100 copies. I convinced her to have the book printed by offset. Instead of about $5,000 for 100 copies, she was able to get 1,000 copies for $10,000. A POD book is less expensive if one is going to print only a very few copies, but otherwise it is not.

Maybe I am missing something here. I would like someone to explain to me how a POD book, published in 1,000 copies is less expensive than a fine offset printed book.

Michael A. Smith

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I took the survey - committed to getting a book but, like most people, only if it meets what I'd want to purchase. For me, that's a quality product -- I'd want it judged/curated by one of the many fine art pro's found on APUG, and printed by a quality press.

Sure, I won't get 3 or 4 at the price that'd necessitate but I'll get one and I think if we use the numbers we have here (as well as the numbers we'd get marketing it online, social media, magazines, etc) then it could work.

My interest in it is respecting fine art work in a medium (traditional photography) I'm committed to, and hopefully getting a photo or 2 of mine included, as well. Hopefully the thing flies.
    "Never criticize someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, you're a mile away and you've got their shoes."

MY BLOG - www.reservedatalltimes.com
    YOU SHOULD LOOK AT THIS SITE - www.colincorneau.com
    INSTAGRAM: colincorneau

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I participated in the LFInfo Blurb book. Have my copy in the bookshelf. I don't actively participate in that forum. I usually do the print exchange they organise too (if I happen to notice it's on). I don't actively participate here either, just read a few pages of posts once in a blue moon, maybe glance at the front page of the gallery, don't post any pics. Why... just too busy. Would I submit something for this... maybe, but I'm not making any commitment until I know what I'm in for. I had a look at the survey but couldn't answer half the questions (they are very yes/no orientated and I'm a maybe) so didn't complete it. So that 1 persons in 51000 view. There's doesn't seem to be that many people actually participating in this discussion. Maybe you need a basic 'show of hands' to see how many people are interested. If you can't get a few hundred to speak up, it isn't going to eventuate.

Regards, Nige

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin