Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,478   Posts: 1,571,119   Online: 1129

Page 18 of 34 FirstFirst ... 81213141516171819202122232428 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think this thread is where it needs to be at this stage of planning. Why not just setup a gallery and start uploading candidate images? We don't even know what we have, yet. I think a separate survey is being conducted on who's buying and under what condition.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Kodak stuff is pretty impressive. We were shown some prototypes a few years ago. Xerox has similar technology. Our youngest daughter works on that equipment and she does the demo on the demo DVD. I have also seen the Xerox technology personally. The big machines are so big you can walk into them. The paper feeds are like tiny rooms.

I heartily endorse an APUG book. It seems a shame though that it might be done digitally!

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tkamiya View Post
    I think this thread is where it needs to be at this stage of planning. Why not just setup a gallery and start uploading candidate images? We don't even know what we have, yet. I think a separate survey is being conducted on who's buying and under what condition.
    Yes, isn't there a poll going on somewhere which is hopefully going to answer some of these questions people are arguing about ??
    Also, how can one review the poll results thus far ?
    Digital photography is like virtual sex........ you never actually touch the real thing..... or get your hands dirty

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    My ability to keep up with the thread was lost a couple days ago so I'm playing catch up. My current thoughts are:

-Setup a dedicated gallery for this project.
    -Subscribers can submit images and vote on images.
    -Submission of an image also denotes that you are highly interested in purchasing the book.
    -Top 50 images are awarded a place in the book
    -High quality scans are obtained for each image
    -Each image owns two pages in the book. Page left photographer bio and tiny portrait + full image technical details, image itself resides page right
    -Book is POD to minimize risk

Something like the above?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The first four points that Sean lists take care of the major problems I been reading,its a good start and is not going to cost anything. The other three can be discussed as I still like the offset printing route.That can be taken to a vote about Book or POD,I'm still in either way.

Mike
    Last edited by mike c; 07-26-2011 at 08:42 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    -Top 50 images are awarded a place in the book
    -High quality scans are obtained for each image
    -Each image owns two pages in the book. Page left photographer bio and tiny portrait + full image technical details, image itself resides page right
    Given the size of APUG, I think it would be a shame if only 50 photographers were represented in any book. I reckon 100 would be a more attractive starting point, if possible. That would probably both increase the pool of potential purchasers, and also enable the book to be more representative of the diversity of quality work that APUG members/subscribers produce.

I guess this again poses the question that hasn't really been much discussed yet: What is the intended purpose of the book?

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I like Sean's idea. Very reasonable and in line with what APUG is about.

I'd say start with 50 and expand if there is an over-whelming response and too many too good to miss images in gallery.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Just from what I see of the site, from practically living here for a few years...I'd reckon 100 would be reasonable.

To me, there has to be a certain benchmark of quality. How we arrive at that, we are all big enough boys and girls to figure out.

And for the record (and please, can we just not go back there again, but it has to be said)...Bill Schwab has nothing to apologize for, period. 8^)
    "Never criticize someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, you're a mile away and you've got their shoes."

MY BLOG - www.reservedatalltimes.com
    YOU SHOULD LOOK AT THIS SITE - www.colincorneau.com
    INSTAGRAM: colincorneau

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bill spears View Post
    Yes, isn't there a poll going on somewhere which is hopefully going to answer some of these questions people are arguing about ??
    Also, how can one review the poll results thus far ?
    Yes there is -- sorry, the survey is being conducted (and paid for) under my own personal account and I debated about whether to make it publicly accessible since some people are honest and sign their names to the comments. I'm going to let it run for a week (unless people have other suggestions) and then post the results. As of right now, 59 people have done the survey.

Here's the link for the survey again: APUG book
    Last edited by mooseontheloose; 07-26-2011 at 10:49 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Rachelle

My favorite thing is to go where I've never been. D. Arbus

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tkamiya View Post
    I like Sean's idea. Very reasonable and in line with what APUG is about.

I'd say start with 50 and expand if there is an over-whelming response and too many too good to miss images in gallery.
    Earlier in the thread I suggested that POD would allow the flexibility to switch and produce a two part (or more) set if needed.

Sean is now endorsing the POD concept and it has many benefits and few downsides.

I saw a POD book in November that was high quality, the author (ex Ilford) was very pleased with the results and is passionate about quality.

Ian

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin