Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,331   Posts: 1,537,244   Online: 928

Page 19 of 34 FirstFirst ... 91314151617181920212223242529 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm going to let it run for a week (unless people have other suggestions) and then post the results. As of right now, 59 people have done the survey.
    Appreciate the effort you're putting in Rachelle but with 500-1000 people permanently logged on to Apug, 59 responses sounds a little disappointing. Also there's only a handful of people contributing to this discussion...... haven't heard much from some of the long standing members and prolific posters, or even the moderators ?
    Digital photography is like virtual sex........ you never actually touch the real thing..... or get your hands dirty

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    First off, the 600dpi, way to expensive.

POD is fine if that is what the majority want but I feel that it defeats the purpose of APUG. We have people here that get all in a tither if an image is not printed before being scanned, get all bent out of shape if it goes strait to the scanner as a negative. A POD book is ALL digital were as off set printing is more in line with APUG's analogue identity.

It's simple, we need X number of artists and Y number to commit to purchase to get the cost down the about $25. All we have to do is get the word out to everyone and let them know about this project. Simple.

I have stated numerous times the purpose of the book, this is for the APUG community. It started out that I wanted to own prints that I see in the gallery and I figured others felt the same way. Simple

Sean, I appreciate your input but we still have the same problem, not enough people know about this project. At this point it is a matter of numbers. The more we can get involved in eithe submitting work or committing to purchase the lower the cost will be to all involved as per Michael A. Smith. If there is a way that you could do a mass mailing to ALL of the members here we might be able to get the numbers we need to have a quality book at the lowest price.

A POD book is still an option but I suggest putting forth every effort possible to get more involvement before we give up on what has been so graciously offered to us by one of our own before we go that route. Simple.
    Last edited by guitstik; 07-27-2011 at 05:49 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Thy heart -- thy heart! -- I wake and sigh,
    And sleep to dream till day
    Of the truth that gold can never buy
    Of the bawbles that it may.

www.silverhalidephotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bill spears View Post
    Appreciate the effort you're putting in Rachelle but with 500-1000 people permanently logged on to Apug, 59 responses sounds a little disappointing. Also there's only a handful of people contributing to this discussion...... haven't heard much from some of the long standing members and prolific posters, or even the moderators ?
    Bill - I totally agree with you. I'd like to think there is some interest (after all, over 5000 views must mean that others are interested), but where is the discussion? Who's truly interested? Why aren't people contributing more? I set up the survey in hopes that we might get more definitive numbers, but the response has been slow (we're up to 64 respondants now).

That being said, perhaps we are all a little too eager to get things going right now. After all, we lived without the book all this time, what's another week, or two, or ten? And, I think it's also important to step back and realize that this does not have to be the one and only definitive book -- perhaps starting modestly (POD), seeing how that works (we like it, we don't, we want more pictures next time (or less), we want a better selection (or we like it as is), etc., etc.) and then creating something more substantial would be another way of going about it. I think many of us like the idea of a 10th anniversary book, but that deadline may be pushing this project into a direction we're not quite ready for.

For what it's worth, here are a few of the results the survey has produced (I still need to find a way to copy the data into an APUG post, but here are the results probably most are interested in):

People who would prefer a POD (6.3%), Fine Art (40.6%), Both (15.6%), Doesn't Matter (37.5%)
    Contributing to the book: POD (51.6%) Fine Art (81.3%)
    Interested in buying the book without contributing: POD (37.5%) Fine Art (48.4%)

Selection of photographs should be based on:
    POD: Experts outside APUG (11.7%) Experts within APUG (56.7%)
    Fine Art: Experts outside APUG (34.4%) Experts within APUG (51.6%)

70-76% of respondants would buy (one) of either book, the others more than one or don't know
    40-46% would prefer between 50-100 images for either kind of book (this is the clear majority in both cases)
    Rachelle

My favorite thing is to go where I've never been. D. Arbus

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Those numbers are encouraging Rachelle but the number of respondents is still low we need to get that up some.
    Thy heart -- thy heart! -- I wake and sigh,
    And sleep to dream till day
    Of the truth that gold can never buy
    Of the bawbles that it may.

www.silverhalidephotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It would be 60 but the form won't work for me as I stated earlier in this thread. If you chooes the "Other" options the form won't complete.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    [QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by mooseontheloose View Post
    Bill - I totally agree with you. I'd like to think there is some interest (after all, over 5000 views must mean that others are interested), but where is the discussion? Who's truly interested? Why aren't people contributing more? I set up the survey in hopes that we might get more definitive numbers, but the response has been slow (we're up to 64 respondants now).

Exactly...
    5000 views but only a few contributors. If this were a thread about '' should I buy a Pentax or a Nikon'' you would expect a lot of views and only a handful of names replying, but this is - ''The APUG Book of Photos !'' It's a big fish and concerns alot more people.
    I'm not impatient to see a book get published (quite the opposite actually) but I wish there were more people putting their views forward and a least contributing a sentence or two into this thread.
    Digital photography is like virtual sex........ you never actually touch the real thing..... or get your hands dirty

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    It would be 60 but the form won't work for me as I stated earlier in this thread. If you chooes the "Other" options the form won't complete.

Ian
    Ian, I understand your concern. I've looked at what I can do with the limitations of the survey, and I've just realized that if I add an "other" answer option that it would (hopefully) solve this issue. I've just updated the survey so I hope that now you can respond to it.

To the 67 people who have already responded to the survey, thank you, and I hope not too many people take issue with me adding the "other" tab to the questions. I don't think it should affect the validity of the responses so far -- and I am aware it's far from being scientifically sound, but I think it's good enough for our purposes.
    Rachelle

My favorite thing is to go where I've never been. D. Arbus

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Why aren't photographs being selected from all APUG Members ?

Ron

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    why don't we have a thread and have apug members post an image or 2 to the thread ...
    sean or the mods can make it a sticky ... and the body of the OP can say something like

" post an image or 2 in this thread that you would like to be considered for the forthcoming APUG 10th anniversary book
    this book will either be POD produced or offset printed we aren't sure yet, if your work is selected please have the required print or HD SC prepared
    for the group putting it together "
    it will be like the gallery sean suggested, and allow non-subscribers to join in this whole process.

... that's what fraction did a few years ago --
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum242/...-magazine.html

i have a feeling this is kind of what the book will be like anyways ...
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I imagine I'm not the only one who would like to know if the book will be POD or offset BEFORE submitting work.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin