Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,210   Posts: 1,531,982   Online: 1140

Page 2 of 34 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    at the large format forum they have put together a book ( or 2 ? ) of submitted work
    make and sold through blurb --- from all accounts came out pretty good. the large format group
    is a smaller forum though and i would imagine the compilation / assembly / submission of works from an apug group
    would be a huge task seeing that it is gigantic by comparison.

few questions though ...

would the publication be curated? or everything submitted would be published ?
    would someone inside apug put it together ( would they get paid seeing how much work it is ? )
    or would an outside group have something to do with it ? ( like the fraction magazine curated show )

there is a lot of great imagery in the gallery, and i agree it would be great to see it all between two covers
    im empty, good luck

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Back a year or two maybe longer I put a mock APUG magazine together, PDF format, I did post the links etc at the time.

Anything with an "APUG" brand would need to be curated, but that needs a small group ideally to even out personal biases etc. I'd be prepared to put it together and have 30+ years graphics experience at a professional level. In addition I've curated many exhibitions.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    They way you keep "Bubba Joe" from voting for his pal in the next cubicle is by requiring subscribers only voting. So you can't just join and vote using the same idea that limits the gallery submissions.

Instead of a vote system, we could charge a small fee and just let everyone in. Yeah, I see that working. We could put together a small group to wade through the submissions and put together a magazine every two months.

I would not expect to get paid as a photographer submitting work. I make what little money I do by selling through my site, what a magazine would do is give me expossure to a different segment of the market. I learn more about different photographers not from the net but from magazines that I subscribe to.
    Thy heart -- thy heart! -- I wake and sigh,
    And sleep to dream till day
    Of the truth that gold can never buy
    Of the bawbles that it may.

www.silverhalidephotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Not a bad idea, and one that has been tossed around previously...would suggest reading those threads as well.

First off, I would get Sean's take on this..it is his site. Next I would NOT use a voting system of work selected...no matter how well run, it still becomes a popularity contest.

There are a few art directors that are member here, seek them out and get their feedback. There are also, some that have published books - their feedback may surprise you.

Books are not selling that well right now - even short runs have trouble selling out. Reproduction quality can become a real issue with a book or magazine.

Maybe consider a Monograph - or even a Web based item first to determine interest.

I know of at least 2 sites that have done this - Alt photo and the Large Format , then visit LensWork and read/listen to some of Brooks thoughts on the subject...like what he says or not, he knows the current trends in the business.

Not trying to discourage, rather point out some of what is involved...and be prepared to have less time free time as this can become a consuming endeavor.

Most of all, good luck
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Any images submitted would have to be put to a blind vote so the images can stand on thier own qualities.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I run a motorsports photography forum and we produce a book each year, via BLURB. Unless you have an investor, this really is the only way to do it, as the only cost to produce the book is time. For the book that my forum produces, we accept images from anyone who is willing to submit and ensure that everyone who submit's get's the same amount of space as each other. Obviously, the forum is small, so this is not a hassle (I think from memory, last year each person could put in 4 images).....so doing one for APUG may not be as straight forward as that!

That being said, how many people would actually submit photos? I suppose you would need to decide whether this is an exercise where as many people are represented as possible, or whether this is a 'The best of APUG'.

For this to work, though, you really need one committed person to co-ordinate the whole project. Sure, they can deligate tasks to willing participants and find other ways to decide who gets included or not.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I think it's a great idea. Would love to participate, but it has to have a specific parameters (the more specific the better) and I'd like to see the many pros (in various fields) here have their skills guide it.

Why not have the proceeds cover the costs, with any extra going towards either APUG (and keep this invaluable resource going) or else a charity like the Red Cross, for instance.
    "Never criticize someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, you're a mile away and you've got their shoes."

MY BLOG - www.reservedatalltimes.com
    YOU SHOULD LOOK AT THIS SITE - www.colincorneau.com
    INSTAGRAM: colincorneau

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Hi All,

I always think such ideas are great but over the years tend to keep my distance on such ventures (whether conferences, books, magazines or fund-raising events). My comfort zone has always been the forum itself and those times I ventured into other media or events many turn into nightmares. With limited time and enough stress in my life I don't want to commit to being a driving force behind it. That being said if anyone wants to take the reigns and see this through I am happy to play a very limited role, and stamp it with the APUG seal of approval.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I love this idea.

However I think there are numerous issues that would need to be considered. Here are a few off the top of my head:

1. Is this open to all APUG members, or just subscribers?
    2. Should subscribers have been members of APUG for a certain amount of time to be considered?
    3. Who gets to decide? If it's a small committee, who chooses the committee?
    4. Will this feature only black and white work? What about colour, lith, other alt processes, toy cameras, etc.? Is it worth considering different volumes for different kinds of work?
    5. What will the guidelines be concerning submissions? Digital copies based on prints and slides? Will people have to provide proof of final analog print?
    6. How many images will people be able to submit for consideration?
    7. Will it be the "best of the best", or will there be space for relative newcomers and amateurs?

I'm sure others will have other issues/suggestions concerning such an endeavour.
    And in the interest of being helpful, although I'm not a professional and have little experience in this kind of project, I would be willing to help whoever oversees the project (if it gets off the ground).
    Rachelle

My favorite thing is to go where I've never been. D. Arbus

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Tapscott. View Post
    The Film & Darkroom Users forum members have had photographs published in two yearbooks so far.
    I am very surprised that APUG hasn't done something similar considering the fine contributors who submit images regularly to the APUG Gallery.

http://www.blurb.com/search/site_sea...&commit=Search

Their 2010 version looks fantastic. I think APUG can do just as well!

I would defiantly buy a copy if it turned out as such! 2 if my own prints were in it! lol

Page 2 of 34 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin