Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,283   Posts: 1,534,968   Online: 961

Page 24 of 34 FirstFirst ... 1418192021222324252627282930 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In addition to monitor calibration, most LCD monitors (and CRT) have problem displaying all colors, namely red. That means if one adjusts the image to display perfectly on display, the final product will have some color cast. This is true even if the monitor was calibrated. Without going to all the details, getting color accurate from print to scan to the final product is an art in itself even with fully calibrated equipment at every step of the process.

Many of us who do both film and digital are fully aware of this issue already. Maybe this is something we can help each other among the members. After all, this IS a collaborative project, isn't it?

I'm willing to assist in any way I can.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
    I would agree including technical information would make the book that much more interesting (to a person like me at least). Considering a lot of technical issues are discussed on APUG, and the book would probably showcase a wide variety of methods/processes, to me as book primarily for the APUG community technical descriptions/commentary would be a great idea, space permitting.
    As the book would be associated with APUG, it would be easy to have a dedicated section on the website that provides extensive information of this type on the website itself.

And that section could serve as a sales aid for the book.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    As the book would be associated with APUG, it would be easy to have a dedicated section on the website that provides extensive information of this type on the website itself.

And that section could serve as a sales aid for the book.
    Thats an excellent idea Matt,we need a few more like that

Perhaps that dedicated section could also link to the individual Portfolio here on APUG.

There is another issue around the whole submission of work, it's an analog forum so is hybrid work allowable ? Should the work exist as original analog prints (or transparencies).

Two of my images exist both as Silver Gelatin prints and digital negatives were made to make Platinum/Palladium prints.

This takes us into a murky area that really needs some thought and clarification and then some strict guidelines set.

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    Thats an excellent idea Matt,we need a few more like that

Perhaps that dedicated section could also link to the individual Portfolio here on APUG.

There is another issue around the whole submission of work, it's an analog forum so is hybrid work allowable ? Should the work exist as original analog prints (or transparencies).

Two of my images exist both as Silver Gelatin prints and digital negatives were made to make Platinum/Palladium prints.

This takes us into a murky area that really needs some thought and clarification and then some strict guidelines set.

Ian
    Good questions raised by Ian.

My work is all on transparencies - I would love to be included in the book but there's no way I'm sending the original transparencies!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by coigach View Post
    Good questions raised by Ian.

My work is all on transparencies - I would love to be included in the book but there's no way I'm sending the original transparencies!
    i know what you mean !

some of my work doesn't exist anymore because
    it is by nature unstable ... i wouldn't even know how to
    post an unfixed sun print ( it would shift to grey on its way there ! ) .
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My take is as long as the original is analog then that's what counts. Obviously with modern printing processes for books, magazines etc any original has to be digitised.

As a transparency is the final analog output there's no dilemna there.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Seems a little quiet here... ;-)

We're up to 104 attempts (102 completed) on the survey -- I certainly was hoping for larger numbers, but I'm not sure that we're going to get many more. My plan is to let the survey run for another day or two, and then post the results on APUG so we can maybe start to move forward with the project, unless people here think we should let it run a little longer.
    Rachelle

My favorite thing is to go where I've never been. D. Arbus

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think the quietness Rachelle is perhaps the realisation that sadly there isn't enough significant interest in this. I might be wrong but I have a negative feeling in my gut. The numbers from the poll are very low in proportion to the size of Apug. 100 replies would be cut in half when the real commitment to submitting and buying started.

I've just read the thread again from start to finish and it actually made me chuckle quite a few times listening to all the ego's and opinions (including my own). Chiefs and Indians is the cliche that springs to mind. I think 2F/2F got it right in an earlier post (see #38) when he talked about a 'Czar'like figure taking control and bringing in some dictatorship !

If Lodima Press or any other high end publisher had announced they were looking for fine art photographers to be featured in a new book (BEFORE any idea was hatched here on Apug) my guess is that they'd have been flooded with submissions and probably a stunning book would have been produced. It still might happen but the obvious lack of interest from other forum members is really not surprising and I think I'm going to relax my enthusiasm in the project for now and see what goes. Sorry for the negativity and I admire the effort and optimism others have put into this. It comes from a passion for the medium and goes hand in hand with being creative and artistic. Something still might happen..... either a
    POD book or Lodima are saying they're coming back with a quote so who knows.
    Digital photography is like virtual sex........ you never actually touch the real thing..... or get your hands dirty

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I have, on several occasions submitted ideas about an APUG magazine with content decided by a rotating panel of editors, but largely self-generated by APUG content. "Self-generated" means that while there could be invited and/or invited articles, most content would come from images and insightful (or humorous) threads. This raises some copyright issues, but those could be cleared with all contributors in the standard way.

There are nice magazine templates into which someone could simply flow the content. The MAGNAchrom format seemed agreeable to many.

There is indeed a lot of great content generated on APUG, and although it's always great to see fresh content coming in, it's sad to see last week's material vanish into the tsunami of newer content that just keeps pouring in.

Let's be clear about how much effort it requires to do it right. I simply don't have time for it right now, I am working two full-time jobs in two cities and writing a textbook and moving house again, etc. I know several here who say they do have time, but then nothing seem to come of it. And it's a really bad idea for one person to take this upon him/herself; I have seen some really big disputes emerge over content and what constitutes analogue and can colour be mixed with b&w etc... it's just too much for one poor bloke to handle.

There needs to be an editor, a rotating panel of reviewers, and someone who can take approved content and shove it into the magazine template etc. This is at least a ~5 person task, to do it right. This is quite an undertaking, with a lot of hurdles along the way... even if the magazine or book only comes out every half year or so. Whoever joins the team should be clear that this would be a substantial donation of time.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I feel the same way as Bill.

From start, this project has become a pet project of few individuals. It started when there wasn't even a project. They appeared to be deciding and speaking as appointed representative for this project. I bet it turned off a lot of people. Having a passion is great but I don't feel this is a democratic project for a hobby site at all. I already have a very bad taste in my mouth.

That may explain surprisingly low participation....
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin