Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,939   Posts: 1,557,409   Online: 898

Page 27 of 34 FirstFirst ... 1721222324252627282930313233 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Very interesting Michael. A pretty reasonable quote -- it doesn't seem unreasonable to get that number of APUG members to take part. And about $20 for a quality book is a steal.

Just a matter of acting -- in other words, a fraction of the many members here to commit. Count me in for contributing and getting a copy or two.
    "Never criticize someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, you're a mile away and you've got their shoes."

MY BLOG - www.reservedatalltimes.com
    YOU SHOULD LOOK AT THIS SITE - www.colincorneau.com
    INSTAGRAM: colincorneau

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thanks for the quotes Michael. At those prices I would be willing to buy one.

We now have something to build on. Those objecting to Lodima being the publisher have the option of presenting quotes of their own.

I would suggest that the committee and/or behind the scenes people consider starting a blog or something in order to communicate the possibilities that are being discussed. I don't think a project like this will get off the ground if everybody is involved, but I do think everybody should be informed.

Raul

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Count me in for a book! Also, if submissions are still being accepted please let me know!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Michael's quote sounds good to me also, and at that price, why wouldn't I take part or even just buy one?

Marc!
    Marc Morel
    photographie argentique!
    ------------
    http://mrmarcmorel.wordpress.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rcam72 View Post
    Thanks for the quotes Michael. At those prices I would be willing to buy one.

We now have something to build on. Those objecting to Lodima being the publisher have the option of presenting quotes of their own.

I would suggest that the committee and/or behind the scenes people consider starting a blog or something in order to communicate the possibilities that are being discussed. I don't think a project like this will get off the ground if everybody is involved, but I do think everybody should be informed.

Raul
    Raul there will be announcements made soon, there's still a few things need finishing off.

The book will be inclusive, images for inclusion will not be selected by any one person, regardless of who they are. The Survey Rachelle ran showed there was a majority of opinions against this.

The proposal is based on the premise that the book will need to be POD, however it does not rule out having the book printed by MAS or any other company if there's sufficient demand.

In light of this very late quote from MAS which we asked for quite a time ago the volumes and costs may well mean we can have the book litho printed but it will depend on numbers and demand. The quote will be looked at seriously and the logistics and practicalities gone into.

Ian
    Last edited by Ian Grant; 08-12-2011 at 02:50 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    thanks for the quote michael ... !

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I would love to be involved with this project!!! count me in if you require submissions. also are you familiar with a similar thing thats been launched in australia this year called the Photographic Compendium 2011? if now check this link out for some more info. mary Meyer is the brain child of this book and the quality is FANTASTIC!!! http://thecompendium.com.au/home.html
    "Its my profession to hijack time" ~ Stephen Frizza.

Mary Meyer is a good friend of ours. I will check out the link. Many thanks.

I was unaware that people were PMing. I was not included in any way. Therefore, I will not work with anyone who was working behind my back without including me, especially since I was the first, and to date, the only one who put forward a specific proposal. I don't get it. Maybe they feel threatened by me. Whatever the reason, their behavior is unacceptable.

My quote was called a "very late quote." It is not a very late quote at all. Anyone who has experience publishing photography books knows that requests for quotes are not turned around instantly. They can take many weeks, and sometimes even months.

For anyone who wants to participate, here is what to do:

Send up to five low-res jpgs to Joel, whose had the original idea for this book. Joel will remove all names and assign numbers to each submission: 1A, 1B, 1C, 1D, 1E, from the first person; 2A, 2B, 2C, 2D, 2E from the second person, and so on. In that way there will be no personalities involved. And since I have never visited any APUG gallery, I have no familiarity with any of the photographs that will be submitted, so all submissions will truly be anonymous in every way. Even those who object to the way I will do this, or who do not like me for whatever reason, can also submit work, as I will not know who they are. In this way there can be no favoritism of any sort whatsoever. I will never know the names of those who submitted work unless they are selected.

My criteria for inclusion is first that the photographs are well seen. As I wrote previously, I do not care if a photographs is made with a Holga or is an 8x10-inch contact print, or whether it is in black and white or in color, or in some alternative process, or if the subject matter is street photography, portraits, urban or natural landscapes, still-life, abstractions, photograms, tableaus, or anything else someone comes up with. It just needs to be well done. And if I have any hesitations, Paula will also have eyes on the submissions. Sometimes her take on photographs is different from mine.

Now as I write this, I realize I am more than well aware that the book needs to have variety. So I would hope there will be submissions in all genres and with all processes. Even if I thought that the 100 best submissions were from 8x10-inch contact prints, I would not do a book like that. The book, as I see it, will represent a cross-section of APUGers' visual concerns and interests. That being said, do hold off on the calendar art. It is not likely to be included, unless it is great calendar art.

The more submissions the better. The quotes I received were based on 100 reproductions. The book could easily have more pages. The larger the book and the more books that are printed, the less the cost per page and the less the book will cost everyone. I would think that $20 price per book will be the highest price. With sufficient submissions the cost will be lower.

I will select one photograph from each submission. For those not selected, or for those who wonder why I selected which one I picked, I will offer to give a critique by phone. Back in 1969, a few years after I began teaching photography, I was charging $50 to do that. Rates have gone up considerably since then. Now I will charge $50 for 15 minutes. Since I am only looking at five photographs, if it takes less than 15 minutes, I will pro-rate the cost. And if someone wants a wishes to send more jpgs for their critique, the $50 rate for each 15-minute segment will apply. For those wondering if my critiques would be useful, I refer you to our web site: www.michaelandpaula.com. Look under "Calendars and Workshops" and then read the unsolicited comments we have received. Among them are comments like these:

"I have been a commercial photographer since I was 17, I went to collage, assisted the top photographers in London, worked on global international advertising accounts for the last twenty five years, and last year I went back to collage to do my Masters, not once in all that time have I ever had such an interesting and informative photographic experience."

"You guys changed me, my photography and how I view what I do more than any other single event in my lifetime!"

"Just a note of thanks to you both for having me at your wonderful workshop. There are events that occur in one's life that you consider a milestone for growth for who you are or become. I can honestly say that your workshop is one of my milestone events."

"Just a quick note to thank the two of you for a wonderful workshop this weekend. I cannot begin to express what an eye-opening experience it was working with you, both in the field and in the darkroom. I have been photographing a long time and I have never come across anyone who uses the camera the way you do to truly explore the world as a visual experience and turn that experience into a print that becomes something more than what was seen. This was truly revolutionary for me."

And there are many others.

Purchasing books. The book cannot be printed until all of the money to pay for it is in hand. No money needs to be sent at this time, but we do need to know how many books will be ordered. So, in a separate email or PM to Joel, please indicate how many books you will be likely to purchase. Include the address you would like your books shipped to, a phone number, and your email address. Joel will keep a data base of this information. When it is time, credit/debit cards will be accepted as will checks. International shipping is fine. For those in Australia or New Zealand, perhaps books can be shipped directly there, if someone there can take responsibility for forwarding the books to those who purchased them. And the same for Europe.

One last thing: Although I have a very clear idea of what this book will look like, I am always open to suggestions. If you read this post carefully, and then refer to my previous posts in this thread you will see that I have already incorporated some of the suggestions that were put forward.

Michael A. Smith

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Michael as far as we are concerned Sean who runs APUG ruled you out a few weeks ago back in past #174, there was a majority in the poll against you/an individual being the selector.

What's your problem with that ?

You don't need to sell yourself, we can make our own judgements.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael A. Smith View Post
    If you read this post carefully, and then refer to my previous posts in this thread you will see that I have already incorporated some of the suggestions that were put forward.
    Michael A. Smith
    The major suggestion has been that you have nothing what so ever to do with the selection, and that hasn't changed.

Ian
    Last edited by Ian Grant; 08-12-2011 at 04:28 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: add

I have had a number of requests asking who is "Joel," who had the original idea for a book. His "handle" or whatever you call it here at APUG is guitstik.

If enough people respond there will be a fine book. If an insufficient number of people respond, I will just let it drop.

Michael A. Smith

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin