Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,860   Posts: 1,583,166   Online: 748

Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst 12345678913 ... LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    FilmWasters are also in the process of making a book and the flickr group film is not dead it just smells funny are onto their second. Perhaps APUG is the only online film forum that hasn't made a book!
    Steve.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Great and intesting Idea...
    I like the idea of a Blind vote... and I'm sure if this project will go on, I would partecipate...
    Digital is Slow..........Analog is ROCK!!!!

Visit me at http://www.stefanogermi.com
    Visit My Portfolio in Apug

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ok, we have Sean's seal of approval.

Pretty much everything depends on how many participants want be involved with this project. I figure the first step would be to see how many folks will contribute images to determine space availability. I will do some investigating into different print options and find out if there space limitations. In the mean time I will start a thread to get an idea of the numbers involved.
    Thy heart -- thy heart! -- I wake and sigh,
    And sleep to dream till day
    Of the truth that gold can never buy
    Of the bawbles that it may.

www.silverhalidephotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Has on-demand B&W printing for books gotten any better recently? Last ones I saw a year or so ago the results in hand are god awful.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As far as the selection process goes, it will be hands off. I do not feel that I am qualified enough to make those types of judgments. I have a few ideas at this point but one was to gather a collection and take them to the College of Art here in Memphis and have them judged by a panel. I will have to approach the administrator about this and get her take on it. Another item I would like to put out there, I have been receiving a lot of offers to assist in this and I welcome as much help as possible if this is to go anywhere, but be forewarned, anyone involved in putting this together will be exempted from submitting any works. I don't want any bad feelings floating around and I hope this doesn't keep anyone from wanting to help. If this goes the route of all entries being used then ofcourse that rule would be lifted but if it is a selection process I would not want any accusations of favoritism.

One rule that I feel needs to be included is that all entries should be from APUG subscribers only. I think that is only fair. It is not expensive to subscribe and I would like to see this site grow even more. Sean has done a fabulous job and I would like him to continue doing so.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It would definitely need to be subscribers only as others can't post images anyway.

An issue that's missing is that ideally this is not a repeat of other Forums yearly offerings instead a more frequent offering. As such it shouldn't be just about individual images rather in some cases sets/series etc.even profiles, in the way that APUG once had a monthly Profile feature.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    One other thing to be mindful of, is whether you want to intermingle B&W (better said monochrome) and Color analog images on pages, or pages next to each other. I always find a color image next to a B&W image highly distracting, severely reducing the impact of an otherwise excellent B&W photo. I noticed one such example in the FADU book, and I would kindly suggest refraining from that and creating a dedicated color section if color is to be included.
    My website

"The nineteenth century began by believing that what was reasonable was true, and it wound up by believing that what it saw a photograph of, was true." - William M. Ivins Jr.

"I don't know, maybe we should disinvent color, and we could just shoot Black & White." - David Burnett in 1978

"Analog is chemistry + physics, digital is physics + math, which ones did you like most?"

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    It would definitely need to be subscribers only as others can't post images anyway.

An issue that's missing is that ideally this is not a repeat of other Forums yearly offerings instead a more frequent offering. As such it shouldn't be just about individual images rather in some cases sets/series etc.even profiles, in the way that APUG once had a monthly Profile feature.

Ian
    +1

and i think that someone OUTSIDE of apug needs to be the judge+jury
    membership is too close to the work in the gallery ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Don't worry, if this gets done at all it will be in a professional manner. Everyone prints in different mediums and that is the way it will be categorized. Cyanotype separated from palladium and so forth.

When the call goes out for submissions I plan on including a questionnaire for background on the artist, equipment and printing style so that the reader receives more than just anpretty picture to look at. Right now we are in the planning stages and all of your concerns will be taken into consideration. Try not to overwhelm me as I may get frightened off and then this may never become a reality. Try, also, to be patient with me.
    Last edited by guitstik; 07-18-2011 at 09:01 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by guitstik View Post
    When the calories go out for submissions I plan on including a questionnaire for background on the artist, . . . . . . . . .
    Not quite sure where calories come in unless you intend eating chocolates as you edit submissions

There have been 3 magazines so far which emanated from APUG or been very closely linked, so there's a need for some serious thought. This could be an ill conceived venture unless there's very broad consensus.

First there was Emulsion, then Fraction and later CiM. So there's a greater track record of output from this Forum than many others.

So far I've not seen a real spark for a practical ongoing publication whether online or printed, there is a need but without the right balance success would be very short lived.

Ian

Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst 12345678913 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin