Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,761   Posts: 1,516,102   Online: 885

Page 33 of 34 FirstFirst ... 232728293031323334 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    ...If you want to participate, the identities of those organizing this effort are known at this point - feel free to PM us and join in. For the record, we are:

Joel - Guitstik
    Rachelle - Mooseontheloose
    Ian Grant - Ian Grant
    Scott - TheFlyingCamera

This process is somewhat slow by virtue of the fact that we're in four discontiguous time zones (Japan, Central US, Eastern US, Continental Europe) and so conversations don't happen in real time. We are finalizing a lot of details for the project and will be putting out a new announcement in a new thread in the next few days. It should all be much clearer then, and we hope folks will be able to get on board at that time. If people are too butt-hurt to see past the project not looking exactly like they wanted it to, then we'll kill the thing here and let someone else produce their own idea of what this should look like. If not, we'll get a book out the door within the next six months.
    Cheers for update - much appreciated.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi guys! Any more information regarding this? After all the to-and-fro, and heated discussions, it seems to have died totally.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    It hasn't died at all There have finally been some earnest efforts to create an inclusive project which all APUGers can be proud of. I look forward to seeing the product!
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Keith - that's great to hear. How do you keep updated?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Nanette, I was asked my opinion about something and was added to a few informal mails. I believe where it stands now is that Sean has made some excellent suggestions for how to make the project more inclusive and open. I think there will be some new info quite soon.

FWIW my role in the project has been simply to suggest that a "jury" is not one person.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Great to hear, and I agree with your "jury" comment. Look forward to it all being revealed!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just a thought, one of many amongst the 33 pages here. Has there been any thought given to approaching sponsors to advertise or help fund the book, in return, perhaps receiving a special mention or acknowledgment in the fwd or prologue ?

Also, agree with others who ask if the pug community has come to terms with what really is the purpose of this book. Imo, selection should not be voted on by members, this should be the responsibility of a select group (no idea how this will be decided..). Initial edit is done online (if the panel can't meet in one location) and the images then whittled down to whatever number is required for the book.

With the right panel/star chamber/ chosen ones, the editing process can move along quickly. When I've been involved in this type of process as a judge, it really does come down to the fact that images that are compelling will be obvious, if this is indeed the goal of the book project.

If it's meant to be more inclusive and show any and all work, rough or polished, then perhaps open a gallery, announce it to the general membership (subscriber and non) and set a window for submitting, single image only. If people miss the window, then they're not regulars. This should reward those who spend time here. These will form a POD book. Price for the book will depend on membership status on APUG.

Discuss or dismiss

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by canuhead View Post
    If it's meant to be more inclusive and show any and all work, rough or polished, then perhaps open a gallery, announce it to the general membership (subscriber and non) and set a window for submitting, single image only. If people miss the window, then they're not regulars. This should reward those who spend time here.
    I like this approach.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Canuhead,

Most of what you've brought up in your post has already been discussed in this thread (and off) and has been finalized by the steering committee for this project. The project has been ready to go for some time, but as Keith has mentioned above, we are just waiting for Sean to polish a few final details.

Don't worry -- when the APUG book project launches, everyone will know about it! ;-)
    Rachelle

My favorite thing is to go where I've never been. D. Arbus

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Looking forward to hearing more about APUG book - how are things going with this?

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin