Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,685   Posts: 1,548,552   Online: 1198

Page 6 of 34 FirstFirst 12345678910111216 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Blog Entries
    i know i can't afford 150-200$ for a book ... so i will just watch ...
    ... judging from lodima press' other published works &C i have no doubt it will be a beautiful book.

good luck !

john

My hope is that enough folks are interested in buying the book so that costs are minimal for everyone. I would hope for $100 at most and a book that would sell for, say, $25. But that depends on APUG members.

Forget 100 or 200 books. We received an estimate for 500 books. It seemed high. I forget the numbers, but let's say it was $10,000. We then asked for an estimate for 1,000 books (same book). The estimate was something like $10,500.

It will be up to the APUG community to support this. If not enough folks can afford $100 if their work is selected and not enough folks are willing to spend $25 for a book of excellent photographs by other APUGers, then this is a good idea that should be forgotten.

In evaluating photographs, visual concerns always are the most important things.

You all would have to trust that the selection would be well done. Before anyone sent prints I would try to explain what I am looking for (nothing merely pretty for starters).

Cost for an 11x14 scan? Not sure. But I suggest, unless it is an 11x14 contact print, that you make an 8x10. We can scan an 11x14. We have all of the equipment, including one of those balanced lights that you find by presses in print shops for properly evaluating tones and colors, and want to make this aspect of what we do a commercially viable activity. (I do not do the scanning, our assistant does and he has met our very demanding standards.) But we are now trying to finish construction of a large space dedicated to all things digital--scanning up to 20x24 originals and making large prints. But we cannot do that quite yet. Please know, however, that we are building a second darkroom and every negative we decide to print does get printed on Lodima paper. That will never end for me. But making large prints--up to eight-feet long from my 8x20s--that requires digital stuff.

Michael A. Smith

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for explaining.

The reason I asked is that I can never get the colors right in my black and white toned prints, even on my own display, probably because I don't have the proper setup and training to do it.

I'll follow with interest how this develops and have subscribed to the thread.

- Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For what it's worth, I have not seen a finer reproduction of an original print than those produced by Lodima Press.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    There needs to be more open discussion and many more ideas bandied about first.

Ian
    This!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    I disagree. The whole point of having one jurist is to have the final cut represent the jurist as well as the artists. If a jurist is on a kick about one concept, idea, or subject, so be it. That is why you select a single jurist – to infuse the "show" (book in this case) with his or her subjective outlook. It's not supposed to be "fair." It's supposed to be a collaborative artistic production. Attempting any sort of objectivity in the arts is pointless, as it is impossible. And selecting work based solely on it's technical merits is the surest way to end up with a book that is not worth looking at IMHO. There are a lot of good technicians here and everywhere. Technique is easy, because it is set in stone, and all it takes is practice. A very small percentage of those technicians actually create interesting content to me. A person who is poor technically and strong conceptually can always improve. It doesn't work the other way IMO. So, I think fairness and objectivity need to go out the window very early in this process, and a creative voice needs to take the lead, not someone hell bent on pleasing everyone.
    Exactly. It's a contest. Let's just call it what it is.

I didn't mean to imply print quality is more important than seeing, but it is an important element of the art. Furthermore, print quality isn't just technique. It requires talent to realize a fine print of a fine picture using technique. Anyone can learn and master the techniques but that doesn't mean they can make great prints. Anyway this is off topic. Sorry about that.

Thomas: Getting the color right on your toned prints:

Do you calibrate your monitor? Monitors need to be re-calibrated every day. Much as I hate digital stuff, I had to learn that these things needed to be done. Fortunately, our assistant knows how to do it.

Reproducing heavily toned prints absolutely accurately could be a problem. Do they get printed in four-color or in gray scale? If there were a whole book of them, it would be easy, but just a page could be difficult.

Other: Received a PM. Suggestion that everyone be able to submit more than one photograph (since most cannot properly evaluate their own work). My response:
    "Sure, submitting even up to half a dozen would be okay since you put it that way. I was more interested in making people be more careful and having to put more effort into thinking about their choice." That's the teacher in me.

No limit on media (type of prints), cameras, etc. All that should be represented is good work.

Well, yes, it is sort of a contest, although I did not think of it in those terms. But many contests require a relatively steep entry fee. Here there is none. There is no other way as I see it.

The alternative to a "contest" is to reproduce everything that is submitted--the bad as well as the good. And while that has merit, too, mostly it is financial, as the more photographs reproduced the less money that would be needed per person. But would doing that serve APUG well? I do not think so. Seeing one's work in a book of all submissions would just be something ego-gratifying--everyone could say they were published, but really it would be meaningless.

If the membership wants to go that way then, to keep the book to a reasonable size, I would recommend photographs on facing pages. Forget the bios and artists statements. As an APUG member, I will be submitting a print of my own to the "contest" book (and, yes, getting accepted by myself). For a book reproducing one photograph from every photographer, I would not.

If there is not enough good work, and if there is a strong feeling that all submissions get reproduced, I will bow out, since I am only interested in making books of good work. In that case, I would, however, be willing to consult with whoever takes over.

Michael A. Smith

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael A. Smith View Post
    Thomas: Getting the color right on your toned prints:

Do you calibrate your monitor? Monitors need to be re-calibrated every day. Much as I hate digital stuff, I had to learn that these things needed to be done. Fortunately, our assistant knows how to do it.

Reproducing heavily toned prints absolutely accurately could be a problem. Do they get printed in four-color or in gray scale? If there were a whole book of them, it would be easy, but just a page could be difficult.
    That's just it. I'm not very interested in the digital domain, so I don't do the color calibration, no.
    By the time we get around to looking at submitting work, that may well have changed. I just wanted to know what my options were. If the book gets printed in grayscale, I'd rather submit a work that hasn't been toned.

Thanks again for taking time,

- Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Blog Entries
    Last edited by jnanian; 07-21-2011 at 09:45 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: silly question

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Franswa View Post
    This!
    Actually so far we've had one suggestion, a very up market publication which would be outside many peoples price range.

My own view is there's a need for a far cheaper alternative, something published in PDF format & available POD (Blurb or similar). An example is the Online PDF version of View Camera magazine which is excellent quality (although poorly strung together for downloading).

So there's a few options.

A Monthly or Quarterly magazine in PDF fromat and POD
    Annual "Yearbook" PDF & POD
    High Quality Lodima Press 1oth Anniversary - selected by MAS.

Personally I think there's room for two options, but think the images for the Lodima Press option should be selected by a consensus of APUG members.

Ian

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin