Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,910   Posts: 1,556,190   Online: 1026

Page 7 of 34 FirstFirst 1234567891011121317 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ian,

That's exactly what the discussion needs to be. There are many ways to approach this and I agree we need to explore more avenues than one.

If you propose an APUG panel for selecting photographs, it's my opinion that it needs to be done by people with significant experience of curating shows and exhibitions.

We could also look within our sponsor community for solutions regarding print selection. (Thanks for coming up with this idea, you know who you are!).
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    i think it would be great to have several different options available as well ...
    while i would see a beautifully made coffee table book
    a low-end/entry level ( less $$ ) POD version would be a great option for people
    who don't have a huge budget AND it might allow those who aren't part of the apug community
    and who may have an interest in traditional photography / imagemaking in an all digital world find and buy the book, and maybe realize APUG exists + become subscribing members.

i have no doubt that michael and paula have great critical eyes and will no doubt make a beautiful book ... they have already made many beautiful books ...

maybe the low-end POD book can get others involved as well who are also
    part of the apug community.
    2F/2F mentioned something about the freestyle board, who are also ( like michael smith ) educators
    and artists. seeing freestyle is also a pillar of the apug community it might be a great thing to get them involved as well ...

unless it might seem like too much of a competition between the 2 different publications / books

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm almost afraid to log on to APUG because things keep switching back and forth (both in this thread and behind the scenes).

If you recall, earlier I suggested that there be an extensive survey (not an APUG-style survey, something off-site that is more comprehensive) to see what the majority of people want. There seems to be a lot of interest in the book (based on forum views) but only the same handful of people keep posting, so it's difficult to guage what the membership as a whole wants. I was (am) willing to create this survey adding in all the information that has so far shown up in these posts (type of book, price range, submission guidelines, etc). In fact, I have already completed a small trial survey but the way this thread was changing direction towards a more high-end book I thought to back off. But now I'm back.

What I am asking right here, right now, is whether or not people think this is a good idea. I could have the survey up and running by the weekend (hopefully trialed by a few people here first), and then we could have it run for a week or two. After that, we could make more concrete decisions on how to go forward -- pdf, POD, book (or combination there of). I mean, personally, I like the idea of a 10th anniversary fine art book going forward, in addition to an annual (POD) yearbook. I don't think that they would necessarily compete with each other. However, that's just me.

Side note: I am only interested in getting this survey up because I think it would be a useful, quick, and hopefully painless way to get some concrete answers that we just don't get in "discussions" on forum posts. But other than that, I do hope that people with the real expertise will use that information and make things happen (although many thanks to Joel and Michael for their contributions to this already).
    Rachelle

My favorite thing is to go where I've never been. D. Arbus

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Reading back over this thread, I realize I totally misused the word jurist. Brain fart. Juror is what I meant in each instance.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    Actually so far we've had one suggestion, a very up market publication which would be outside many peoples price range.

My own view is there's a need for a far cheaper alternative, something published in PDF format & available POD (Blurb or similar). An example is the Online PDF version of View Camera magazine which is excellent quality (although poorly strung together for downloading).

So there's a few options.

A Monthly or Quarterly magazine in PDF fromat and POD
    Annual "Yearbook" PDF & POD
    High Quality Lodima Press 1oth Anniversary - selected by MAS.

Personally I think there's room for two options, but think the images for the Lodima Press option should be selected by a consensus of APUG members.

Ian
    This!

Sounds like the best compromise. The official book is done as a showcase of APUG (as long as it doesn't become the LFF lite book).

The POD option is a full 'everyone gets a chance' book. One thing to keep in mind is the size of the books. I know when I have had POD books done, anything over 100 pages really stretches the binding and we have had them come apart (replace by Blurb, though). That being said, there would be nothing stopping a POD book being produced as Volumn 1, Volumn 2, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by mooseontheloose View Post
    I'm almost afraid to log on to APUG because things keep switching back and forth (both in this thread and behind the scenes).

If you recall, earlier I suggested that there be an extensive survey (not an APUG-style survey, something off-site that is more comprehensive) to see what the majority of people want. There seems to be a lot of interest in the book (based on forum views) but only the same handful of people keep posting, so it's difficult to guage what the membership as a whole wants. I was (am) willing to create this survey adding in all the information that has so far shown up in these posts (type of book, price range, submission guidelines, etc). In fact, I have already completed a small trial survey but the way this thread was changing direction towards a more high-end book I thought to back off. But now I'm back.

What I am asking right here, right now, is whether or not people think this is a good idea. I could have the survey up and running by the weekend (hopefully trialed by a few people here first), and then we could have it run for a week or two. After that, we could make more concrete decisions on how to go forward -- pdf, POD, book (or combination there of). I mean, personally, I like the idea of a 10th anniversary fine art book going forward, in addition to an annual (POD) yearbook. I don't think that they would necessarily compete with each other. However, that's just me.

Side note: I am only interested in getting this survey up because I think it would be a useful, quick, and hopefully painless way to get some concrete answers that we just don't get in "discussions" on forum posts. But other than that, I do hope that people with the real expertise will use that information and make things happen (although many thanks to Joel and Michael for their contributions to this already).
    Do it! I think there will be enough interest in what you are proposing

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Moose - a poll that doest allow multiple votes of same ip addresses and double votes would be brilliant!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I kinda like the idea of a 10th anniversary book. If it contained just one of my prints, I'd certainly stump up for a high quality copy, not a POD job.

An annual POD book drawing on the year's gallery submissions would also be neat, but perhaps not something I'd rush out to purchase each year.

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    Can my pic be on the cover?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by mooseontheloose View Post
    What I am asking right here, right now, is whether or not people think this is a good idea.
    I think it's a good idea and probably the best way to gauge people's feelings.
    Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by perkeleellinen View Post
    I think it's a good idea and probably the best way to gauge people's feelings.
    It is a good idea, but first more ideas and opinions need to be discussed and thrashed out, but it shouldn't be external of APUG, this is an APUG publication that's being discussed.

You'll note that both Rachelle & Michael Smith replied that it's too early for questionnaires/surveys only 2 days ago in a parallel thread.

Without proper discussion it's not possible o put together an unbiased survey.

Ian
    Last edited by Ian Grant; 07-22-2011 at 03:17 AM. Click to view previous post history.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin