Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,653   Posts: 1,481,314   Online: 1029

Page 8 of 34 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131418 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I reckon some kind of poll is the best way to go.

My own view is that I think the Lodima option is a good one, I would certainly buy a book of APUG photographers within the price range described. There are many photographers on APUG whose work I find consistently inspiring - a high quality book would do this work justice. If I was fortunate enough to be selected, then that would be a bonus.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This may come across the wrong way, so be it.

I have been reading a lot of opinions and different ideas of how to go about this, my question is, who else had done anything about these ideas. At this point all I am getting is grief and slather with no action being taken by anyone. I'm sorry but this idea started less than a week ago and to date I have a publisher with a plan and the blessing of Sean who's opinion counts more because he carried through with an idea and created APUG.

John, you keep stressing the "cost" and we don't even know what the cost is YET. How about getting on board and submitting some of that wonderful work that you do and encourage others to do the same so that we can find out what the cost will be. It cost next to nothing to send in an excellent example of your work, if we do not receive enough submissions to make it economically feasible then and only then should we drop it but please don't trash it before you try it.*

I have seen the results that can be had with the blurb site and they are fine if that is all you want but from what I have seen and heard about the Lodima prints were talking apples and oranges here. Again, if you want the POD do something about it don't just flap your virtual gums.*

Finally, Michael has put an offer on the table to do the book and judge the prints all on his own dime. From what I get from him all he is asking is to cover the expenses that he cannot afford to do himself how bad is that. I have read where y'all want someone with "significant experience of curating shows and exhibitions". Michael and Paula have that experience, they've done books for artists such as Brett and Edward Weston, George Tice and Robert Adams for crying out loud. Who else here can say that?

One more thing. View Camera Magazine is offering a limited edition of George Tice's "Ticetown" with a limited print for $1250.00, guess who the printer is.
    Last edited by guitstik; 07-22-2011 at 08:49 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Thy heart -- thy heart! -- I wake and sigh,
    And sleep to dream till day
    Of the truth that gold can never buy
    Of the bawbles that it may.

www.silverhalidephotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's as it usually is, and the predictions were correct, that you can't please everybody, and nobody ever agrees on everything at APUG. Surely you had to expect some political bickering to pull a project like this off, with a collection of strongly opinionated people here (including myself).

I think the idea of an APUG book is interesting, and I have publicly thanked Michael Smith for taking the time to sum up what needs to be done for him to put the book together.
    Does that mean that it is the only way we can do this? I think not. And even though Lodima Press is an excellent contender for doing such a book, don't you think we should explore other avenues too? That's like buying a car looking at one brand only! And we're looking at only the Rolls Royce.

If I had any expertise in how to put a book together, I would not mind dedicating some time to this project. But I don't. So I would make a big mess out of it and nobody would thank me for it.

What I opine is that there are quite a number of people in the world that can curate and jury shows. The Freestyle board has been mentioned as one contender, for example.

- Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ok, so Freestyle could judge it, has anyone contacted them? There are more alternatives, has anyone done anything about them? I take it the answers is a big fat NO.

All that I ask now is for those who want to be involved send me their best print, simple. I have a plan and a direction let's run with it and see where it goes instead of standing around making noise and not going anywhere. The question you must ask yourselves is this, do you want a book or do you just want a really long thread discussing a book.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Not going to send you a print. Bowing out here and now. Thanks for your effort.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sorry to hear that Thomas. I've seen your work and in my opinion would have added to a book.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You can't expect contributors to start sending you prints without knowing what direction we're going to take. You may be able to start the ball rolling, but if you don't have some sort of consensus first, how do you expect people to be willing to participate?

When you release a new product, due diligence in market research is required, or you will not know your target audience, what they want, how much they're willing to pay, or if there's even any serious interest. That's pretty much the standard formula if you wish to have some sort of certainty of success; it improve the odds.

I also feel no rush to get this project rolling; it's in its infancy still with the idea having been hatched days ago. What's the rush? Why not calmly compile ideas as they emerge, and then let the people vote. It will be a long thread, yes.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by guitstik View Post
    All that I ask now is for those who want to be involved send me their best print, simple. I have a plan and a direction let's run with it and see where it goes instead of standing around making noise and not going anywhere. The question you must ask yourselves is this, do you want a book or do you just want a really long thread discussing a book.
    I work using b+w transparencies and many folks here work using colour tranny film - sending a print is not really the best option. Are you open to other options?

And I agree with Thomas's thoughts too - it's early days, why not let some sort of a consensus evolve (maybe agree a 'decision date?) and go from there?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There has to be a starting point. If Sean had called for entries people would have been tripping all over themselves to participate.

One of the major factors that have been discussed is the cost qnd the only way to determine what the cost will be is to find out how many people will be involved and how big the book will be and to that end we need submissions. We can discuss this until the cows come home but the end is still the same no matter what route we take. If the cost of using Lodima is to great we would still have all of the submissions in one place so that we could explore other options.

I would be more than happy to let this just go the way it is going and nothing would get done. I am simply taking control of the situation and moving this forward in the the way that has been presented as the most viable. I am not trying to be coarse and demanding but I want to create a book plain and simple.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am simply taking control of the situation and moving this forward in the the way that has been presented as the most viable. I am not trying to be coarse and demanding but I want to create a book plain and simple.
    I have a plan and a direction let's run with it and see where it goes instead of standing around making noise and not going anywhere. The question you must ask yourselves is this, do you want a book or do you just want a really long thread discussing a book.
    The core issue is you have a plan, it's not consensual and hasn't been freely discussed alongside possible alternatives

Yes there is a need for far better and more open discussion, so long threads. You've already done a good job of alienated two very active contributors to the board which I'm sure was not your intention.

There are other people on this board involved in book & magazine publishing as well as quite a number of graphic designers.

No attempt has been made so far to find out who else would be prepared to get involved either.

Ian

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin