Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,589   Posts: 1,545,894   Online: 1231

Page 1 of 34 123456711 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

APUG book of photos

So, I am sitting on the front porch this morning enjoying a rare cool breeze and a cup of coffee perusing APUG as is my normal routine, when this thought hits me. We have a ton of talented photographers here covering a wide range of formats, styles and processes, what if we compiled a bunch of the best by submission and then have members vote on about the best 100 or so and make a book. We could break it down into categories with sub- categories in each, limit the number of submissions a photographer can have in each and then every subscriber has a vote on the best of the lot. In the case of having to many for one book, we could do a volume two.

I don't know about anyone else but I know that I would buy such a book because there are so many pictures by a bunch of members that I would love to own. We could offer it for sale here and if it could be run through a major publishing house, it could be sold through B&N or such. Proceeds could be used to continue to grow APUG or even help with a charity of some sort. I may be a bit optimistic, but I think it could work.
    Thy heart -- thy heart! -- I wake and sigh,
    And sleep to dream till day
    Of the truth that gold can never buy
    Of the bawbles that it may.

www.silverhalidephotography.com

Shooter
    35mm
    I had a similar idea about a year ago of an annual APUG photo magazine or book. I thought it could be printed on demand by a firm like Blurb or Magcloud. I raised the idea in a couple of threads and the response was decidedly cool. I hope reception is better this time. I'd certainly buy such a thing.
    Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As I stated, there are several members here who submit works to the gallery that I would happily hang on my wall. I figure that a few here feel the same way. A magazine would be a good idea as well, having something that I could hold and reference back to from time to time would be beneficial. I can not imagine why you would have gotten such a luke warm reception from such a good idea. I enjoy APUG and the people I meet here are, for the most part, out standing. Being able to enjoy their work and show case it in my home on a coffee table would be an honor in my humble opinion.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Having been a member here for a while, I'll take a stab at this:

You're willing to buy a book. Fine. For how much? A similar project has been successful on a similar website, but the book is in the $40-50 USD range.

OK, you're willing to pay that much for a book. Now, are you willing to manage the selection of the photographs (including dealing with all the competing egos) and creating the book? Do not underestimate the time and stress (and skill set) that would be involved!

For several years, I did a monthly newsletter for a local church. Thirty to 40 hours (a work week!) just to gather all the copy and produce that silly 12 page newsletter. That did not count distribution, which was done by others.

There is a bit of history on APUG with the magazine idea. An "APUG magazine" was discussed in multiple threads, and finally started by a member. Subscriptions were collected, but then the magazine never got published, and some people may not have ever gotten their money back. It turned out to be a much bigger job than the willing apuggers had imagined, and then on top of that, the principle became ill. This is not to say anything bad about that person, but stuff happens. Sadly, it created a great deal of ill will on the forum.

So, a project such as this can be done, but it must be planned and executed with much thought and planning. It will require much time, patience and diplomacy on the part of some members.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I realize that there would be some problems to overcome. I like the idea of a magazine as that would allow for more admissions from a larger group of people. As far as selection, that is where a vote by the majority would come into play. A jury of peers would keep things on an even playing field and egos could be kept to a minimum. Applicants would send into a responsible party their submission and those would be put up to a vote on APUG and the winning submissions would then be printed for the subscribers. I realize that with any undertaking such as this there would be some bugs to be worked out and this is just an idea. As an after thought, subscriptions to a magazine could be coupled to the subscription for the APUG web site.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Photography-on-the-net http://photography-on-the.net/forum/ has done this in the past, apparently with great success.

Volume 3: http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...d.php?t=761427 with links to 1 and 2.

They are preparing Vol 4 now, voting on the back cover image.
    Last edited by Monito; 07-16-2011 at 11:39 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Film & Darkroom Users forum members have had photographs published in two yearbooks so far.
    I am very surprised that APUG hasn't done something similar considering the fine contributors who submit images regularly to the APUG Gallery.

http://www.blurb.com/search/site_sea...&commit=Search

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would gladly pay an extra fee for my APUG subscription to include a bi- annual magazine or even every two months. I realize that a monthly mag would be to arduous.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Next Year Is APUG's Tenth Anniversary !

Maybe that would be an appropriate milestone to be commemorated.
    That Would Be Ultra-Sweet !

Maybe an APUG Non-Book similar to David Carols',
    " This Is Why We Can't Have Nice Things "

DavidCarol.Com

I will gather some information on how that was accomplished.

Ron

Shooter
    35mm
    Using a self-publishing site such as blurb.com would make things easier, but, mind you, you have to send digital files.

In general I don't think that peer-rating would work, IMO certain social mechanisms would begin to operate, things like exchange of votes, clans, roped parties, people asking their aunts and girl-friend and next-of-desktop to join APUG to vote, there's people like that everywhere, I would be very surprised if there was not on APUG. Who of us has never attended a forum where somebody asked to connect to another site and cast a vote for his work, "if you like it"? It's legitimate, but at the end of the day those with more internet footprint gather the votes and this makes for some disgruntled feeling.

I think the thing could be done if there were an "official editor" (somebody Photocentric ) and the book would be "APUG work by APUGers, selected by Mr Grade".

This would work "photocentrically" because, I am sure, it would vastly increase the number of subscribers. I don't need to specify that copyright should rest with photographers, credits should be clearly expressed, and whatever profit should be duly shared between publisher (Photocentric in the most normal case) and photographers involved.

A word of warning: proper publishing requires 300 ppi or not much below that. Flatbad scanners might not be up to snuff if it is planned to do it in a digital form.

Fabrizio
    Last edited by Diapositivo; 07-16-2011 at 02:45 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

Page 1 of 34 123456711 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin