Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,696   Posts: 1,482,502   Online: 955

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

APUG book project

This thread is to determine how many entries and what categories we will have in the APUG book.
    What I will need is:
    Name:
    Format:
    Printing
    Format:
    Subject
    Matter:

There are probably more items I will need to know but this is to get the ball rolling and determine what is going to be involved. I can guess that if the numbers are to large there will be limitations. I would like to keep this thread as "information only"
    and keep discussion down to a minimum. If there are any of you out there that has expertise with this please PM me.
    Thy heart -- thy heart! -- I wake and sigh,
    And sleep to dream till day
    Of the truth that gold can never buy
    Of the bawbles that it may.

www.silverhalidephotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Name: Michel Hardy-Vallée
    Format: 35mm, 6x6
    Printing
    Format: Gelatin silver
    Subject
    Matter: Manufactured landscape
    Last edited by Michel Hardy-Vallée; 07-18-2011 at 01:32 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Name:Stefano Germi
    Format: 8x10",8x20"
    Printing
    Format:8x10" or 8x20" Contact Print on silver-chloride paper
    Subject
    Matter:Landscape,close-up,nude,potrait...
    Last edited by photo8x10; 07-18-2011 at 04:00 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Digital is Slow..........Analog is ROCK!!!!

Visit me at http://www.stefanogermi.com
    Visit My Portfolio in Apug

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks guys. Let me make a clarification, printing format should be lithography, cyanotype or something along those lines. Each has it's own quirks when it comes to being reproduced in either a magazine or a book and the printer will most likely need to know this. It is also helpful in case we need to break this down into by categories. Keep em coming, let's see how big this is going to be. I would like to know if we will have to do a one off book or a series.

ath
    Shooter
    35mm
    Name: Andreas Theil
    Format: 35mm
    Printing
    Format: b&w silver gelantine
    Subject
    Matter: sea-, city-, land-scape
    Regards,
    Andreas

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by guitstik View Post
    Thanks guys. Let me make a clarification, printing format should be lithography, cyanotype or something along those lines. Each has it's own quirks when it comes to being reproduced in either a magazine or a book and the printer will most likely need to know this. It is also helpful in case we need to break this down into by categories. Keep em coming, let's see how big this is going to be. I would like to know if we will have to do a one off book or a series.
    Wouldn't "medium" or something similar be more appropriate than "format" then?
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Name: Marco Boeringa
    Format: 35mm and 4x5
    Printing Format: Silver gelatin
    Subject Matter: Architecture / Night photography, Landscape / Forest
    My website

"The nineteenth century began by believing that what was reasonable was true, and it wound up by believing that what it saw a photograph of, was true." - William M. Ivins Jr.

"I don't know, maybe we should disinvent color, and we could just shoot Black & White." - David Burnett in 1978

"Analog is chemistry + physics, digital is physics + math, which ones did you like most?"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Name: Ian Grant
    Format: 35mm, 645, 6x6, 6x9, Quarter plate, 9x12, 5x4, Half Plate, 10x8
    Printing
    Format: B&W silver gelatin, Plat/Palladium, alt processes
    Subject
    Matter: Landscapes, nudes, portraits, Rock bands, Industrial & General archaeology.

But this thread is running before it begins to walk these questions are irrelevant at this stage.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    But this thread is running before it begins to walk these questions are irrelevant at this stage.

Ian
    I agree. Wouldn't this information be more useful for the final, chosen photographs? How many submissions are people going to be allowed to make? What if each submission is in a different printing medium?

Also, not everyone wants their proper name posted on the internet (for various legitimate reasons) so I find it a little off-putting to have to post my full name for what is basically a survey.
    Rachelle

My favorite thing is to go where I've never been. D. Arbus

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Your probably right, I may be jumping the gun a bit but I am trying to see how much interest there is in this project. If anyone has a problem putting their name on this now it is optional. At this point I have no idea how many entries one person can have, it all depends on space and howany we can get involved. At some point in time I will have to have X number of firm commitments for purchase and I figure about 20% of initial interested parties to be about what others sites have experienced.*

I have contacted several publishers with a slew of questions and now it is just a matter of hearing back with the answers. Most publishers tho will want to keep the profits off of the sales and I have no problem with that. The problem lies with the viability, how many firm commitments do we have? That is the question they will*want an answer to before they will even look at this. My goal is to make this an objet d'art in and of it's self, something you could set on your coffee table and be proud of and to that end I am searching out regular publishing houses instead of some Internet site.
    Last edited by guitstik; 07-18-2011 at 08:37 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin