Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,934   Posts: 1,585,600   Online: 717

Thread: Book for B'day

Shooter
    35mm

Book for B'day

Hi All I'm after a recommendation of a photo book.

I'm after a book filled with pictures of 'places' or 'people in places'

I've looked through a couple of current print National Geographic books which often contain the type of genre I refer too. They have been OK but not great. I have also tried looking for books published by famous nat geo photographers but was overwhelmed by the sheer number. Hence I'm hoping I can take a shortcut by getting a good recommendation.

Shooter
    Large Format
    What kind of places? Cities, exotic places?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Pictures of places or people in places. Sounds like nearly every photo book I've ever seen.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    Pictures of places or people in places. Sounds like nearly every photo book I've ever seen.
    I have also seen photo books of portraits, still life, macro, wildlife, landscape, abstract, flowers...

I did try to narrow it down

@Frank Bunnik

A photographer who has travelled and has included photos of both in the one book would be ideal.

I would prefer to avoid scenes that are familiar to me (Australian). I suppose that means exotic but does not limit to photos in the middle of the Amazon.

P.S. if you want me to be even more specific colour and 6x6 would be great. I'm expecting to get a 6x6 so ideas for square format framing would be great.

Thanks all

Shooter
    35mm
    I have purchased

William Albert Allard: The Photographic Essay
    David Alan Harvey: Divided Soul

I also enjoy Lise Sarfati and will likely purchase one of her books at a later date

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Vivian Maier's book is on pre-order. She did a lot of 6X6 in Chicago and elsewhere in the 60's thru, I believe up to, the 90's....her book comes out Nov 11, 2011. After seeing her work at the Chicago show, I was struck by her amazing composition, intimate view of Chicago people and people elsewhere.

This might just fit the bill...

http://www.vivianmaier.com/book/

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin