Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,899   Posts: 1,521,075   Online: 885

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Grant Haist's new book

Well I just received my signed copy of George Eastman's Cameras from Grant Haist. What an enjoyable, wonderfully detailed book. I had taken this opportunity to also get a signed copy of Modern Photographic Processing. An extra bonus, when Mrs. Haist kindly called me to confirm shipping costs, she asked me if I wanted to "say hi to Dr. Haist". This was a real moment for me in my photographic life. It might sound strange to others, but people like Haist are sort of rock stars to me, in many ways no less impressive than any of the great artists who use(d) the products that came out of photographic research. The volumes by Haist, Mason, Mees, James etc are not only hugely informative and enlightening, but give you a sense of the monumental efforts that were involved in an extraordinarily complex field of research which no longer exists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Michael;

It moves me to see your comment. Grant and I have been friends and associates at EK since the 60s. He and his wife are wonderful people and I was pleased to spend some time talking to them on their recent visit to Rochester. I am also proud to have been one of the editors for the book you now have.

Enjoy it as I have over the years. It is a very good book and was written by a wonderful person. And, a friend.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That makes us two Michaels / Michel from Montréal who are fans of Haist.

I still remember fondly reading through both volumes of Modern Photographic Processing during my MA as a way to clear my head, and the amount of stuff I learned was invaluable. When you're academically-inclined you like to go to the primary sources, and whilst MPP is not technically one, it's truly the most essential collection of information culled from primary sources on photography that's still accessible to people not working for Kodak.

You go Grant!
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    PE, thanks for the note. When you were at EK did you work directly with or for Haist? Over the 30+ years he was at EK, did he work on a wide variety of things (color films, B&W, papers, chemistry etc) or was he focused more on a particular area of research. Did he lead the development of specific products we would recognize? How about yourself? I've been curious since I joined APUG. It's truly a privilege for us to have you here.

Another thing I think about - when people like Haist and others wrote their technical books for the public, how did they know where to draw the line between what could be written for public consumption and what was proprietary? If we take Modern Photographic Processing as an example, did the EK legal department go through everything before publication? I'm not really referring to obvious trade secrets and proprietary formulas. What I mean is, principles, mechanisms and other information in the book which Haist himself may have acquired by having conducted research at EK. For illustrative purposes consider the following example. Suppose through research Haist led at EK, at some point he identified yet another interaction between Sodium Sulfite and dissolved silver ions, an additional mechanism to add to the complex role of sulfite in developers. Is such a discovery automatically deemed to be the intellectual property of EK since it was made in the EK lab? In his book, when writing about the many roles of sulfite in development, could he include this mechanism, or was he restricted to simply compiling information that was already public domain? I guess what I'm getting at is, as much as there is in Modern Photographic Processing, there must be a lot more he couldn't divulge.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Michael;

I worked in the Color Photography Division on Ektacolor Paper, Gold 400, Ektaflex R and C, and several instant products. I had other work on processes and did work on CD6 for Ektachrome and Kodachrome. The latter two were very very minor as I was just a reporter of others work for the patents. I worked on emulsions doing scaling and modeling as well.

Grant was in the B&W division working on films, papers and developers including monobaths. He worked on the "instant" film used in the first spacecraft.

We were brought together by work on instant heat processable color film and paper. We published several papers internally and one paper externally on the process. During that time, I was asked to edit portions of his book. We were cautioned that nothing proprietary could come out and therefore the emulsion formula in his book is heavily edited and modified. My talk at the ICIS meeting in the 70 was also edited to omit some proprietary information.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just received my copies of Dr. Haist's latest book and Modern Photographic Processing as well. Incredible books!

I feel bad, though, as his website did not mention he has a Ph. D. and so I failed to address him properly in my letter to him. I grew up in the era where you ALWAYS respect a title, it was an honest mistake...
    I would love to use the "FP" flash setting on my camera, but I cannot find "Flash Powder" anywhere... such is life.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Grant is very down to earth and I'm sure that he was not bothered one bit.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I still feel I owe him an apology, though. No doubt it is due to my upbringing. Titles are always to be respected.

Getting these books really made the rest of my year!!
    I would love to use the "FP" flash setting on my camera, but I cannot find "Flash Powder" anywhere... such is life.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Dr. Haist is a giant in my mind, for sure. I did a paper on fixation in college, using his "Modern Photographic Processing," which was then pretty new, as a primary source.

What is the format of the new book? Is it highly illustrated?

Ed
    "I only wanted Uncle Vern standing by his new car (a Hudson) on a clear day. I got him and the car. I also got a bit of Aunt Mary's laundry, and Beau Jack, the dog, peeing on a fence, and a row of potted tuberous begonias on the porch and 78 trees and a million pebbles in the driveway and more. It's a generous medium, photography." -- Lee Friedlander

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, there are numerous photographs and drawings- almost on every page. The book itself is printed on very high-quality stock, perhaps the best available anywhere. It is truly beautiful.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin