Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,963   Posts: 1,523,262   Online: 996

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Harry Callahan show in WashDC

I went to the National Gallery of Art to see the Callahan exhibit. See:
    http://www.nga.gov/exhibitions/callahaninfo.shtm

I was less than impressed with much of his work. Wikipedia says, "He then spent almost every afternoon making proof prints of that day's best negatives. Yet, for all his photographic activity, Callahan, at his own estimation, produced no more than half a dozen final images a year.".

For all that shooting, there was not much that grabbed my attention and the photos, by today's standards, seemed poorly composed, uninteresting, and technically quirky (shadow detail was rendered almost black).

I did like his series of miniatures. I'm drawn to these little prints, perhaps because they force me up close to examine the photo. These miniaturess also seemed to be better in terms of subject material, composition and execution.

Still, pretty neat to see photos like this up close and personal!

Jerry W
    Warrenton, VA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I knew it was in town and looked at the info briefly.
    Thanks for your assessment.

I think if I go I will forgo this holiday season and go in January.
    Was it crowded down there when you went...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm drawn to the pictures he made of his wife Eleanor, were there any of those in this show? FWIW, his influence on a number of photographers who were his students is, I think, one of his great legacies.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I didn't realize he made so few final images per year. That makes me feel a little better about my own extremely limited (perhaps overedited) output.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I went to the show and found it outstanding. Callahan's work is best when he photographed subjects with which he was on intimate terms--his wife Eleanor (and daughter), and the stark Midwestern landscape. I find his studies of Eleanor to be some of the best nudes in 20th c photography. His technical mastery is impressive, but is always quietly used in support of the subject. Callahan's later work on display--particularly his foreign travels--suffers somewhat by his lack of familiarity with the subject. Callahan was a great talent and this is a fine exhibition--well worth seeing.
    Last edited by Barry S; 11-22-2011 at 12:10 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I need to go to galleries more- I read the subject line and thought Clint Eastwood was having a show.

I also did not know who Andreas Gurky was.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    The Chicago School. I personally prefer the West Coast aesthetic, but some of Callahan's work is still marvelous. Barry, is there any of his color work in the show?
    Jim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I am a student of one of his early students. (Vernon Cheek)

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Jim-- The show includes a selection of his later color work. Growing up in Chicago may have given me a better appreciation of Callahan's aesthetic--as well as some photographers of the same school--like Aaron Siskind.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry S View Post
    Jim-- The show includes a selection of his later color work. Growing up in Chicago may have given me a better appreciation of Callahan's aesthetic--as well as some photographers of the same school--like Aaron Siskind.
    Where in Chicago did you grow up? Both my parents hail from the North Shore suburbs. I was born in Evanston.
    Jim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin