Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,840   Posts: 1,582,476   Online: 820
      
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1
    rudolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Poland
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    58

    50% off for a really great book on photography :)

    Hello everyone,
    as some of you already know, I published a book recently.
    A book you should like, I think. Its main purpose is to boost passion and inspire you from the photographical point of view.

    And because a Christmas is coming I'm offering each reader of my two favorite forums (APUG and RFF) 50% off (code at the bottom of this post).
    The book is right now only in electronic format (for e-readers, iPads, in PDFs), and is available at:
    Amazon
    Smashwords
    Barnes&Noble
    and iTunes (just search for '13th frame')

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5497703041452225ce07455d4e1291b0b582ec84.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	42.7 KB 
ID:	43174
    If you're not yet convinced, just read sample, readers' reviews or go and get some more details here:
    http://13th-frame.com/

    To get 50% discount, please use this code on the Smashwords site (unfortunately Amazon doesn't allow me to generate discount coupon):
    MT86F

    If you know a photographer who would like such a book, don's hesitate to share it with him/her - both your friend and I will appreciate it!

    The discount will work only till the end of December 2011!
    Enjoy and Merry Christmas!
    Marcin "Rudolf" Szymczak
    Author of 13th Frame
    marcinszymczak.com

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    8

    50% Off What ?

    I stopped reading after being told what I was like in bed on the basis of which framing of a bad photograph I thought was better and reading the first paragraph after that.

    Great. Now, I don't even need buying the book to decide not to read any more of it than I have already.

    Amen.

  3. #3
    rudolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Poland
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    58
    Quote Originally Posted by jepoma View Post
    I stopped reading after being told what I was like in bed on the basis of which framing of a bad photograph I thought was better and reading the first paragraph after that.
    lol, if you read it without any sense of humor and a distance both to yourself and the text, than it's obvious for me you shouldn't buy it.
    The book is definitely not for everyone.
    Marcin "Rudolf" Szymczak
    Author of 13th Frame
    marcinszymczak.com

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    8

    60% Off - For Whom ?

    Point taken. Who is the book for then ?

  5. #5
    rudolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Poland
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    58
    Did you read the "Did you see fjords" story?
    If you like it, you are the one, I would say.

    In general, I tried to write everything in this book with a distance both to me, my photographs and whole world - this is because the texts in the book cover almost 5 year period in my photographic life, which included many, many mistakes I did.
    So it's not a guide, it's rather humorous story about how photography influenced my life.

    It is (in my opinion) for people, who want to be a little bit both entertained and inspired by other's experience in the field of photography.

    And hey - thanks for trying it!

    Have a nice day!
    Marcin "Rudolf" Szymczak
    Author of 13th Frame
    marcinszymczak.com

  6. #6
    dhosten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Canada
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    77
    Images
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by rudolf View Post
    Did you read the "Did you see fjords" story?
    If you like it, you are the one, I would say.
    In general, I tried to write everything in this book with a distance both to me, my photographs and whole world - this is because the texts in the book cover almost 5 year period in my photographic life, which included many, many mistakes I did.
    So it's not a guide, it's rather humorous story about how photography influenced my life.
    It is (in my opinion) for people, who want to be a little bit both entertained and inspired by other's experience in the field of photography.
    And hey - thanks for trying it!
    Have a nice day!
    It seems a common problem for Europeans and Americans to have issues communicating due to the vast difference in age of the cultures, and the common assumptions that do not exist in both cultures. Americans, by and large, tend to be more optimistic, never having Bubonic Plague, or WWI, and WWII on their doorsteps, or having to live in fear of the Soviet tanks that patrolled streets there up until the 80s. Humour is another thing that is sometimes problematic, with European humour being generally more cerebral and American humour being more guttural. My point is, if writing a book where you hope to find a large audience among Americans, you might want to keep those differences in mind at all times.

  7. #7
    rudolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Poland
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    58
    Maybe you're right, dhosten.
    Or maybe it depends on one's nature - I see there are Americans, who enjoy this book. See example review on Amazon; but of course, I suppose, there will be always someone who hates it - I wasn't so much "politically correct" in my texts, so yes, it's possible some people won't like it at all.
    Marcin "Rudolf" Szymczak
    Author of 13th Frame
    marcinszymczak.com

  8. #8
    rince's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    182
    Quote Originally Posted by rudolf View Post
    Maybe you're right, dhosten.
    Or maybe it depends on one's nature - I see there are Americans, who enjoy this book. See example review on Amazon; but of course, I suppose, there will be always someone who hates it - I wasn't so much "politically correct" in my texts, so yes, it's possible some people won't like it at all.
    First of all thank you for writing a book about photography and with that promoting photography. It takes guts to put yourself out there and I congratulate you for finishing this project. I have to admit I only read through the examples and must say I personally did neither like the writing style, nor the humor, but again, I am sure there are others who will contest to the contrary. I personally felt that the writing was not even close to being PC, but was aggressive, childish and sometimes even derogatory (The story with the 'fatty' and the 'blonde' for example).
    Again, this is all my personal opinion. It is your right to express yourself in any way you want, but I personally would rather look at your images, than reading your book.

    Kindest regards
    Dennis
    ---
    There are always two people in every picture: the photographer and the viewer.
    ~ Ansel Adams

  9. #9
    rudolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Poland
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    58
    Quote Originally Posted by rince View Post
    (...)I personally felt that the writing was not even close to being PC, but was aggressive, childish and sometimes even derogatory (The story with the 'fatty' and the 'blonde' for example).
    (...)
    Dennis, thanks a lot for your opinion - I appreciate it.
    But please tell me - what in your eyes was derogatory in the story you mentioned?

    I'm really curious why you thought so.
    Marcin "Rudolf" Szymczak
    Author of 13th Frame
    marcinszymczak.com

  10. #10
    rince's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    182
    Quote Originally Posted by rudolf View Post
    Dennis, thanks a lot for your opinion - I appreciate it.
    But please tell me - what in your eyes was derogatory in the story you mentioned?

    I'm really curious why you thought so.
    To me how you portrait the 'fatty' sounded derogatory for example. Addressing him as 'the fatty' and the 'swarthy fatty' and '... it just about made you sick to watch him...' . You introduce him as '...small,swarthy, cross-eyed, fat man ...' And continue addressing him as 'fatty' , while strangely all others receive names during the story (Eva, Jack, Marc, ...) ....

    Your fjord story showing the security guard in a light, that does not at all contribute to anything in the story itself, but show your personal opinion about certain religions and societies ...

    To me stuff like that does not belong in a book about photography, an artform as diverse and different as it is.

    Again, all my personal opinion and while I did not like the sample I read, that does not mean that I don't like your images or anything. It is just the same as any other art form and I feel I am not compatible with your writing style and that is totally fine, as I know there will be a ton of people out there that you will reach with your book exactly because of the way it is written. So I am not trying to say it is a bad book, I just say it is not for me, judging from the few pages I did read.

    After all you did what most of us are just talk about and you finished your book project!
    ---
    There are always two people in every picture: the photographer and the viewer.
    ~ Ansel Adams

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin