Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,000   Posts: 1,524,345   Online: 781

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm RF

Please spend my money

Well, I've got about $100 and I need to get a light meter.

I'm looking for a reflective meter to use outdoors, day and night. Something small and compact would be nice. Digital is a plus, as long as it's within my budget. I'm not keen on a selenium cell one as my Gossen wasn't very reliable (it's dead now).

Suggestions please?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Low
    Well, I've got about $100 and I need to get a light meter.

I'm looking for a reflective meter to use outdoors, day and night. Something small and compact would be nice. Digital is a plus, as long as it's within my budget. I'm not keen on a selenium cell one as my Gossen wasn't very reliable (it's dead now).

Suggestions please?

hmm...I don't how much it is, but I think it's only a little more that your $100.
    I use the Sekonic L-308B II Flashmate. It has both reflective and incident modes for flash and ambient light. It can give either the EV or a shutter/aperture match. And it is very small and compact. With an attachment about $7) you can measure contrast between different light sources.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Thanks Morten! I have played with the first version at a store previously and I quite like it. Unfortunately, it costs too much for me, even on eBay.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Low
    Thanks Morten! I have played with the first version at a store previously and I quite like it. Unfortunately, it costs too much for me, even on eBay.
    How is it? I bought mine used from the guy who also sold me his flash heads. I gave 500 DKR (approx. $75). Maybe this price is a bit low (he sold it to me because I also spent approx. $600 on the flash kit)

Morten

Shooter
    35mm RF
    It fit my requirements very well, although I got a bit confused with the different modes (coming from a match needle meter). I especially like the sliding diffuser sphere for the incident mode. You got yours for a very good price. I remember that it was selling for S$270 (roughly $160) when I checked early this year.

It'd be great if I could afford one of those. Meanwhile, I'm looking at alternatives.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Suggestions please?
    "The poor man buys his tools twice"

My suggestion is to find the light meter that is perfect for you, save your money and invest in the perfect light meter... If the light meter that you really like is $160, save another $60 and get that one.

joe

Images
    What about this

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=257033&is=REG

I saw one for about 100 at B&H used, a year or so ago.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Symchyshyn
    "The poor man buys his tools twice"

My suggestion is to find the light meter that is perfect for you, save your money and invest in the perfect light meter... If the light meter that you really like is $160, save another $60 and get that one.

joe
    I agree...I am saving up for a lens right now ($600) and work my butt off to get it. But I know that it will be it's weight worth in gold when I get it.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    You can usually find a venerable Gossen Luna-Pro SBC for around $80-150 used. This is a classic, standard meter with a match-needle readout.

If you want something really small and compact, consider the Gossen Digisix or Digiflash. You can even mount it on your 35mm rangefinder camera and take reflective readings like an SLR with a centerweighterd averaging meter (sort of like the Voigtlander/Cosina meter). I think my Digisix was around $100, but if the Digiflash had come out by that time, I would have bought it instead. For ambient incident readings, the Digisix is just as accurate as my Minolta Flashmeter III. Then if you want a fancier meter later, you can use the Digisix as a field meter.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    35mm RF
    KEH has a couple of Minolta Autometer IIIs on their website hovering around $100 or so. How are they in use?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin