Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,990   Posts: 1,524,110   Online: 1082

Shooter
    Multi Format

Vivitar 285HV Problem

I just bought a vivitar 285 hv used from a local camera shop. It worked perfectly in the store, but when I took it home all of a sudden it wouldn't pop. The test button would work maybe once out of 20, and the same thing with the hotshoe. I drove right back to the store, and they couldn't figure out what was going on either.

They gave me another 285hv with a broken foot and in rougher shape but worked perfectly, and I kept the broken flash. My reasoning behind this versus getting a refund was I could certainly make one working flash (maybe two) from them. I've ordered a metal shoe from eBay to replace the plastic ones with once it comes in.

At first I thought the foot on the original 285hv was bad, so I desoldered it and tried just tapping the leads together. That works but not consistently. Any ideas?

Thanks

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I assume you were getting a ready light so we can assume it's not a battery issue. If you unscrew the flash foot, you'll see 2 wires soldered to the foot. My guess is that you have a bad contact there.
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, I was getting a ready light.

That's my thinking too. When I get the new foot we'll see how it works. Which wires control the sync; the green, white, black, or red (do I have those colors right?).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Bob

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That's exactly what this one is doing John. I wonder if it's possible to replace the tube easily?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by johnielvis View Post
    now it will fire like ONCE
    How often is like once? Is it once?

Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Mine will fire once out of 20 "clicks," either with the test button or mounted on my holga. Even when I had the shoe desoldered and tapped the leads together, I got a few pops but not very consistently.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin