Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,328   Posts: 1,537,048   Online: 1054

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Multiple off-camera flash with film?

I've been intrigued by The Strobist's blog and all of the multiple off-camera flash setups.

Unfortunately, trial-and-error isn't the best strategy for film.

I've found the Nikon SU-4 that can be used to trigger off-camera speedlites and still retain TTL metering. I may give that a try.

Anyone else have experience with manual configuration of multiple off-camera flash with film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I do. I use canon and a similar setup - the STE2 to fire up to 3 speedlites in different modifiers. I did learn on a digi - so no pointers from me as far as starting in film. Studio lights are always tricky.

I have found that I don't like my usual light setup with B&W film though - I prefer either a single hard light or natural light.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBaz View Post

Unfortunately, trial-and-error isn't the best strategy for film.
    How about a hand-held light meter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Two words: flash meter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have used for years used multiple flash, usually studio strobes. I use a flash meter, would be hard to do without.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    TTL/ETTL II isn't imposible but it can be fooled if you aren't well versed in reflectivity.
    I usually use older Sunpack/Norman or Lumedyne in manual with modifiers and a sekonic L358

No surprises that way.

Shooter
    35mm
    Trial & Error is the way to do it with digital. I have watched like 2 hours worth of video from Nikon about their so great TTL CLS system for multiple flash unit. And I learn that it's all Trial & Error. So with film just have everything in manual and use a flash meter like others have recommended. Using TTL for multiple flash setup I don't think it would work as I have not seen or know about someone who can set up such a setup and got the right result the first shot. It's always trial and error and if it is then the Auto TTL is basically just get in the way.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I use an old Gossen flash meter, modeling lights (when available) and for complicated set-ups, I test with a DSLR (no different than Polaroid tests back in the day).
    Nikon 35mm, Mamiya 645 & RB67, Leica IIIb, other bits and pieces

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The hardest part about strobes isn't how much light to use - yes that's easy with a Meyer - its where to place them effectively. Unlike continuous lights, you cannot see how they fall on the subject until after the shot. Hence the trial and error...
    Last edited by Katie; 01-28-2012 at 07:12 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: iPhone autocorrect

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have the orginal White Lighting strobe with modeling lights. The modeling lights are not as bright as the more expensinve units however, they do help a lot.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin