Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,297   Posts: 1,535,732   Online: 839

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Looking for a modern flash setup for Crown Graphic

Like the title says, I've got a Crown Graphic. It's a 4x5 top rangefinder. The flash bracket from the ancient days of light sabers has been removed. I've got a Minolta flash. I'm looking for a cheap rig to allow me to shoot portrait and landscape mode with flash about 8 inches to a foot above the lens in either configuration. I don't want a monster setup. I want something light, strong, and able to be set up and removed quickly. I see on B&H site, there's thousands of items in the flash bracket category and well, I'm hoping someone will have some pearls of wisdom to cut down my time so I can find what I need and buy it.

Thanks APUG! This community is the best!
    I love the wilderness and I love my trail cameras, all Fuji's! :) GA645, GW690 III, and the X100 which I think is the best trail camera ever invented (to date).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    I think that's too small dimensionally speaking. Don't think it would reach around the drop bed.

I think something like this but dimensionally larger to accomodate larger camera body: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/110813613736?...#ht_594wt_1110
    I love the wilderness and I love my trail cameras, all Fuji's! :) GA645, GW690 III, and the X100 which I think is the best trail camera ever invented (to date).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I broke down and made a phone call to B&H sales staff, asking for advice. Out of all the many items they have for sale, which one would fit a Crown Graphic? I was met back with incredible resistence, and no actual help from B&H. I believe the guy I talked with was fishing for a way to upsell me to a digital camera setup. Instead of assisting me, he said it was next to impossible to hand hold a 4x5 Crown Graphic, in other words questioning my sanity.

I doubt very much if I will ever call B&H again after that!

Meanwhile I'm still looking for a bracket setup, and hoping someone has one that works well and can point to me where to go buy one also!

Thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    hi perry

if you can find yourself a bachrach bracket you can screw it into your side tripod hole and have a flash off to the side
    like a modern version of the star wars lights. for years i did this with a lumedyne.

if you can find out if the barber flexi arm has a screw on the base ( under the male end )
    it might work for you ( if not, is there an adapter that allows you to convert the shoe to a screw ! )
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Flexi_Arm.html
    the barber would be PERFECT ...

if not, an inexpensive L or straight bracket, just flip the screw around.
    on ebay ( search "flash bracket " ) there is a c-shaped bracket that looks like it might be perfect
    as long as you can flip the screw ...

if you don't have a PC cord on your flash
    there is a pc to hotshoe adapter that looks like a hot shoe but has a cord attached.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=REG&A=details

strobeo frames cost a fortune, by comparison to these things, tops they might run you 40$ for the two things

good luck !
    john
    Last edited by jnanian; 02-16-2012 at 08:13 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    hi perry

if you can find yourself a bachrach bracket you can screw it into your side tripod hole and have a flash off to the side
    like a modern version of the star wars lights. for years i did this with a lumedyne 244, but you can mount any sort of light on there
    and feed the pc cord to your lens. bachrach brackets on eboink sell for about 30$, but make sure you get one with a screw to mount it onto
    your camera ...
    Hi John,

I did a quick search on the name and found they have a wide array of brackets just like Stroboframe and other makers.

I have a grip/bracket like this for my RB67: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...gger_Grip.html

I'm seriously thinking at this point, going to Home Depot, buy a small piece of angle iron, drill holes in it to match the holes on the bottom of the flash bracket part of this grip which you can unscrew, then drill holes into my body and mount the angle iron direct to the body on the upper right side of the camera body (as in shooting the camera). I thought of this first, because I have to be cheap (inexpensive) right now due to economy, but also I didn't really want to drill additional holes in my body but at this point I'm thinking that's the thing to do. None of these brackets have dimensions on them on the B&H site. There's no objective way to compare one over another. You can't just decide on the basis of how it's advertised (35mm, digital, medium format, yadda...)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Hah! Impossible to hand hold a 4x5 Crown Graphic? I guess most of the images from the 20th century didn't exist, and Joe Rosenthal was some kind of fake.

What a tool.
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    There's always flashbulbs, if you really want that retro press look.
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin