Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,898   Posts: 1,584,346   Online: 785

Shooter
    Multi Format

Anyone using LEDs for portraits?

I recently saw this 1000 LED panel on sale at Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Fancier-LED100...0904830&sr=1-1

and wondered whether anyone had any experience using them for portrait lighting?

Ben Marks

Shooter
    Large Format
    You might check with Kirk Tuck at http://visualsciencelab.blogspot.com/ He recently published a book on LED lighting.
    van Huyck Photo
    "Progress is only a direction, and it's often the wrong direction"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Actually, it is Kirk's announcement of his new book that has me curious about actual practice. I just sent off a monoblock to be fixed; it had a short and would, once charged up, fire uncontrollably. With a bunch of slaved stobes, you can imagine the result: alien disco. I know Kirk thinks that the tech is both ready for prime time and the wave of the future. But what about the rest of y'all/

Ben Marks

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Kinda cool there's a book on LED lighting!

I use a LED growlight panel http://www.ebay.com/itm/370526616178 to augment my other lights. It's a little cool for white balance, but that's not important for B&W. The Fancier panel would be a step up and I'd consider it if I needed more light or did color or video. That sort of stuff is used for news video all the time.

The photo below, on the left I used my LED panel and a CFL/aluminum dish. On the right (in front of the piano) I have a translucent umbrella up high with a white lighting flash just using the modeling light. No x-sync, so I had to stick with "hot" lights. 1/30s at f4 on iso400 8x10 film.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Similarly frustrated with strobes I recently started using Divalites, not LED but continous, flicker free and daylight balanced. I like them alot and the lower price point of the LEDs makes me want to look into them. Well, maybe not into them...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by rorye View Post
    Similarly frustrated with strobes I recently started using Divalites, not LED but continous, flicker free and daylight balanced. I like them alot and the lower price point of the LEDs makes me want to look into them. Well, maybe not into them...
    I am curious as to what it is about strobes that you find frustrating?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Perhaps frustrated is too strong a word, I have taken many images that I like very much with strobe, but after 20 years of being around bright popping lights my eyes are ready for something a bit gentler. As I've been concentrating on daylight shooting I find the extra little kick from the divas to be a help without overpowering the daylight. It's really just a nice change for me.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I've started working with blue LEDs to light pinhole paper negative portraits, but that's not necessarily relevant to what you're talking about here.
    -brian hayden
    http://fed-2.org

Shooter
    Large Format
    I used a few of the lower end LED light sources for video work with a P2 camera. I noticed they don't look as nice as a good tungsten light source. It seems to me that they might not project a full spectrum, there seemed to be a dip around 4300K in all the models I've used.

Thats just my experience, YMMV

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    we use them in the motion picture industry on a daily basis. We're talking about Lite Panels, or LEDZ though good light source. very efficient. I've also been using led light ribbon, cool stuff. oh, led ring lights too that you can buy on ebay as headlight gear for your car.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin