Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,851   Posts: 1,582,861   Online: 815

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Have I won a Metx 45 CL-4 flash for a reasonable amount?

Hi

I have won a Metz 45 CL-4 flash gun via an industrial auction from a recently closed government department.

I won the item for £56 but VAT and collection charges are likely to make it about £100. All things considered, is that (£100) a reasonable amount to pay for a flash gun of this type? From ym reading I gather Metz are one of the best flash gun manufacturers and they often seem to fecth prices of around £400 new.

Ted
    Last edited by ted_smith; 03-05-2012 at 07:31 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ted Smith Photography
    Hasselblad 501CM...my 2nd love.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Values can vary by location and, of course, condition. Also, on whether all the "pieces" (battery tray, cords, camera plate) are included. But the CL series go for more than the CT series.
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You should have asked before you bought it Ted, Ffords have this in Ex+ condition for £75 http://www.ffordes.co.uk/product/11012313280931 they deliver before noon the next day, and give six months warranty on their used equipment.
    Ben

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    You should have asked before you bought it Ted, Ffords have this in Ex+ condition for £75.
    No harm in having two!

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Benji

Darn!!
    Ted Smith Photography

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There are 2 Metz 45CL4 models, the older original and the newer 'Digital', if yours is the newer Digital madel then you got a steal as it sells for circa £400 new the older model (which you can still buy new in some places) sells for circa £150 ish with secondhand models starting from £75 or so.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The info was rather sparse in the auction, described as "Metz 45 CL4 flashgun with battery, charger, cable & SCA 3000C shutter release" ( irealise there's an additional adapter needed for use with my F5) . Picture here if it helps? : http://www.troostwijkauctions.com/uk...-8934-1760227/

They had several for sale (all listed here : http://www.troostwijkauctions.com/uk...6161-8934/?p=3). Not sure if any of you can tell from these pictures if they're digital or not?

I also got stung due to being used to eBay. I submitted what I thought was my max bid of £56 and it just jumped straight to it, even though the previous high bid was £25. I expected it to go to something like £30, then £35, like it does with eBay. So I could probably have won it for £30.

Then I rang a courier company to enquire how much collection of the item from Barnsely to Derby (where I live) would be....£75 + VAT!! So I am going to have to take a day off work to collect it by car.

So all in all this has been a very sorry experience for me. Especially given that the only reason I am having to buy new kit is because it was all stolen last year :-(
    Last edited by ted_smith; 03-05-2012 at 11:59 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ted Smith Photography

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ted_smith View Post
    The info was rather sparse in the auction, described as "Metz 45 CL4 flashgun with battery, charger, cable & SCA 3000C shutter release" ( irealise there's an additional adapter needed for use with my F5) . Picture here if it helps? : http://www.troostwijkauctions.com/uk...-8934-1760227/

They had several for sale (all listed here : http://www.troostwijkauctions.com/uk...6161-8934/?p=3). Not sure if any of you can tell from these pictures if they're digital or not?

I also got stung due to being used to eBay. I submitted what I thought was my max bid of £56 and it just jumped straight to it, even though the previous high bid was £25. I expected it to go to something like £30, then £35, like it does with eBay. So I could probably have won it for £30.

Then I rang a courier company to enquire how much collection of the item from Barnsely to Derby (where I live) would be....£75 + VAT!! So I am going to have to take a day off work to collect it by car.

So all in all this has been a very sorry experience for me. Especially given that the only reason I am having to buy new kit is because it was all stolen last year :-(
    It looks like the rechargeable one which is more expensive than the normal AA Alkaline battery version, I have both but I find with my rechargeable one that since I don't use it so often my rechargeable one is often flat if not used for long periods and that for occasional use the AA battery version is better, and to add insult to injury I just found this http://www.carmarthencameras.co.uk/s...752223a51cc516 they are great flashguns and a alternative Metz battery holder can be bought from Amazon if you want to use it with AA batteries, and the digital model has no advantage when used with a Hasselblad..
    Last edited by benjiboy; 03-05-2012 at 12:48 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If it is any consolation Ted, as long as it is working well it will be a really good flash .

Certainly better than anything new you might buy for what you have spent.

Just be careful with the trigger voltage - if it is the new "Digital" model the voltage will be new, but if it is the older version, it is listed at about 17 volts and labelled "your call" in this linked list: http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    If it is any consolation Ted, as long as it is working well it will be a really good flash .

Certainly better than anything new you might buy for what you have spent.

Just be careful with the trigger voltage - if it is the new "Digital" model the voltage will be new, but if it is the older version, it is listed at about 17 volts and labelled "your call" in this linked list: http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html
    I think that as long as you use the correct SCA adaptor they have right voltage reduction electronics in to make them compatible with the particular camera, the trigger voltage of my Canon T90 is 6Volts and with my Metz 45 CL4 which is 17 Volts using the SCA 311which is the correct adaptor it's no problem.
    Last edited by benjiboy; 03-05-2012 at 02:08 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin