Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,489   Posts: 1,542,933   Online: 867

Shooter
    Medium Format

Elinchrom EL 500 says "no" ...

fuse seems to be OK (put in a new one anyway, but doesn't change a thing)

- i put in a new pilot-light, but it doesn't work
    - flashbulb doesn't fire (nor does the ready-light),
    - lights inside the on/off switch do work.

condensors died? just broken? any ideas?

maarten.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sounds expensive.
    If the ready light isn't lighting it suggests a problem in the charging circuit or capacitor, which agrees with you. I would expect the caps to be in parallel with the ready light so when the cap is charged, the light will glow.
    It does carry a pretty healthy punch and I wouldn't go poking around inside of it.

John, Who has been bitten by caps a number of times. Slow learner.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Probably bad capacitor(s). These deteriorate with age, particularly if they sit unused.

They're definitely suspect in any equipment over ten years old.

It might be possible to revive them without destroying them as follows:
    At noon (or some other time of your choosing), turn the light on for ONE minute, then turn it off.
    Next day at the same time, turn it on for TWO minutes, then off.
    Next day at the same time four minutes, next day eight, etc.

At the end of a week you're up to an hour. If it's going to revive it will have done so. If it doesn't work then, it's dead.

If at any time you experience a problem like the fuse blowing or any unusual odor, turn it off and discontinue the process.

- Leigh
    Last edited by Leigh B; 03-11-2012 at 12:42 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” - Plato

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Title makes me think of Little Britain's "Computer says no" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNRGCPKhJFE)

Sorry about the malfunction Maarten. I hate it when electronics die on me (with mechanical stuff you can at least have an illusion of being able to fix, sometimes, maybe). Good luck.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin