Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,332   Posts: 1,537,390   Online: 1093

Shooter
    Medium Format

Light Meter malfunction during cordless flash mode.

I have a sekonic L-508 and recently it has been malfunctioning when operating in cordless flash mode. When set to shutter priority mode, sometimes (it's happening more and more frequently) I'll get a reading of "00.0" for the aperture value. This is definitely a malfunction as I've tested it against other meters on set. If I move the meter closer to the strobe it gets a stronger blast and will read fine. However, it not getting a readable blast in the first place is not the issue as it would read "Er.u" (or something to that effect) for "error: exposure under" if that was so, and this happens even when other meters are giving readings as high as f8-11. It seems to have this problem most when the strobe is just above ambient but, especially recently, has been happening with greater margins of strobe-to-ambient levels. Has anyone experienced this before? Any idea what it might be? Would love to try and figure it out instead of sending it out and paying an arm and a leg to "maybe" get it fixed. I work as a photographer's assistant so it's kind of important that my meter is functioning..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Send it to the factory authorized repair center for an estimate.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quality Light and Metric here in Los Angeles is the best around and it's going to cost about $140. So, being the broke photo assistant that I am, I'm hoping to trouble shoot it myself. Not afraid to open it up and get my hands dirty if someone might have an idea of what the problem could be.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Modern digital meters are all just a printed circuit board with chips on it. Not user serviceable, and even QLM will likely just put a whole new board in the old case. He did exactly that to my Minolta flash meter IV. Minolta repaired a minor fault in an Autometer IIIF many years ago the sale way, they basically gave me a brand new meter in my old meter's shell.
    Chris Crawford
    Fine Art Photography of Indiana and other places no one else photographs.

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com

My Tested Developing Times with the films and developers I use

Become a fan of my work on Facebook

Fort Wayne, Indiana

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I am sure you tried replacing the battery, didn't you? I had a similar issue with my l-358 a few months back, turned out to be a bad battery.
    ---
    There are always two people in every picture: the photographer and the viewer.
    ~ Ansel Adams

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin