Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,548   Posts: 1,544,566   Online: 1011

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BradS
    Hunter, Biver, Fuqua, Light--Science and Magic: An Introduction to Photographic Lighting is comprehensive and a classic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Quan View Post
    au contraire mon frere

that would be akin to a med student reading ONLY Gray's Anatomy.
    I'd agree with Brad, and compare it to basic courses in biology and chemistry for a pre-med student.

Lee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee L View Post
    I'd agree with Brad, and compare it to basic courses in biology and chemistry for a pre-med student.

Lee
    Whatever it is, it's now on hold for me at my local library. Many thanks to all of you who are so freely willing to educate the ignorant.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pbromaghin View Post
    Whatever it is, it's now on hold for me at my local library. Many thanks to all of you who are so freely willing to educate the ignorant.
    The local library is always a good place to start. Nice that they have the book.

Let us know when you pass the boards. Hope lighting malpractice insurance is cheap in CO.

Lee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Edition preference? - Light, Science and Magic

Can anyone here comment about the relative value of the various editions of "Light, Science and Magic"?

I've considered buying a less expensive but older used version (1997 vs. 2007).

I don't really care about any specific equipment references that may be contained in the book, so any information of that type that has become doesn't concern me.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Oh-oh. Is licensure required?

I avoided the use of flash for 25 years because my first attempts at it were so pitiful, and so remained blissfully ignorant of anything beyond available light. Then last year I discovered that the Minolta X outfit I got from my father-in-law's estate included a pretty hi quality flash and that there was such a thing as ttl metering! So I went to a party, set the exposure on automatic, let the camera tell the flash what to do, and results were fabulous.

Now I have grand-nephews and nieces, my sister's cancer has turned the wrong direction, and our first grandchild will arrive later this year. I see the awful pictures that my extended family finds acceptable for passing around on the web. I compare them with the tack-sharp 6x9 contact prints of my uncle and aunt who died in childhood in 1918 and feel a need to do something about it. That little bit of success with on-camera flash makes me want to learn to use multiple-source setups with my 6x6 to produce photos that will hopefully be enjoyed 100 years from now.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Heck, since you're shooting film your probably better off with the older book, anyhow.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    Can anyone here comment about the relative value of the various editions of "Light, Science and Magic"?

I've considered buying a less expensive but older used version (1997 vs. 2007).

I don't really care about any specific equipment references that may be contained in the book, so any information of that type that has become doesn't concern me.
    I have both the 2nd and 3rd editions. The 3rd edition has color illustrations rather than B&W, and a third author is added. The preface says that was designed to give it a fresher look. The chapter on Extremes has specifics on lighting to make sure the shadows and highlights fall within the response of digital sensors, but that's really the same information just adapted to the sensor's response curve.

The book is really all about principles, and how light works, taking into account different kinds of objects, reflections, angles, revealing shapes, surfaces, contours, etc. There are whole sections on lighting transparent objects, metals and reflective surfaces, portraits, etc. It's not a cookbook, but if you learn what's in the book, you shouldn't need cookbook "place your lights here, here, and here" to get what you want instructions, your results will be more predictable, and you'll be able to work with whatever you have at hand.

Any edition should be good, as light still behaves the same way as before digital photography, and there's little to nothing about specific lighting equipment.

Here are some good used prices for all three editions:

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Sear...+magic&x=0&y=0

Lee

Shooter
    35mm
    I've read a lot of lighting books over the years. What I've found most rewarding is to study photographs that I really liked and to figure out how they were lit. looking at shadows and the quality of the light will get you going. I spend a lot of time studying Penn's work - both portrait and comercial.

I take my info and try to reproduce the lighting. Trial and error has taught me a lot.

Hope this helps.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee L View Post
    I have both the 2nd and 3rd editions. The 3rd edition has color illustrations rather than B&W, and a third author is added. The preface says that was designed to give it a fresher look. The chapter on Extremes has specifics on lighting to make sure the shadows and highlights fall within the response of digital sensors, but that's really the same information just adapted to the sensor's response curve.

The book is really all about principles, and how light works, taking into account different kinds of objects, reflections, angles, revealing shapes, surfaces, contours, etc. There are whole sections on lighting transparent objects, metals and reflective surfaces, portraits, etc. It's not a cookbook, but if you learn what's in the book, you shouldn't need cookbook "place your lights here, here, and here" to get what you want instructions, your results will be more predictable, and you'll be able to work with whatever you have at hand.

Any edition should be good, as light still behaves the same way as before digital photography, and there's little to nothing about specific lighting equipment.

Here are some good used prices for all three editions:

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Sear...+magic&x=0&y=0

Lee
    Thanks Lee, this definitely helps.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Large Format
    the one by the Larson lighting guy

and the one by Arriflex are very helpful and have diagrams and examples

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin