Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,523   Posts: 1,543,813   Online: 805

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by achromat View Post
    I've read a lot of lighting books over the years. What I've found most rewarding is to study photographs that I really liked and to figure out how they were lit. looking at shadows and the quality of the light will get you going. I spend a lot of time studying Penn's work - both portrait and comercial.

I take my info and try to reproduce the lighting. Trial and error has taught me a lot.

Hope this helps.
    100%

Books are great for teach you the basics so if you are not even at a 'basic' level then they are a great way to start. At some point the best way to learn is to try to emulate the images that you LOVE. Ultimately there are thousands of different subjects and situations and no book will teach you to be expert in each.

However, like Disco, books are dead. Go to blurtube for specific examples as every man and his dog wants his/her 5 minutes of fame (reduced from 15min in this digital era) so there are thousands of lighting examples online.

JJ

Shooter
    Large Format
    The book of life.

Jk. In my experience lighting is the most difficult thing to learn from a book. Though it can't hurt.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Christopher Grey, "Master Lighting Guide for Portrait Photographers" (recommended by Kirk Tuck of VSL). Straightforward explanations with setup diagrams and images demonstrating the variations. A handy guide.
    van Huyck Photo
    "Progress is only a direction, and it's often the wrong direction"

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin