Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,963   Posts: 1,523,248   Online: 972

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format

Location lighting question

I'm primarily a natural light photographer, but I do own a set of ProFoto strobes I got a deal on, used of course. The only bad part is that are not compatible with a battery system, so taking them outside of my garage/studio is not going to happen unless I have 20,000 feet of extension cords. So I'm thinking of getting a 300 W/S battery powered moonlight to use outdoors as fill light. My question is, if I shoot through, or reflect off an umbrella will 300W/S be enough to use as a fill light? It puts out a GN of 190, and I expect to be 10-20 feet away from the subject.

I would love to spend more $ on a good light, but I don't do much location work to justify the price.

Thanks!

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    There's always the Strobist approach...

http://strobist.blogspot.ca/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Outdoors, you're going to have to keep the shutter speed at sync speed or below. That and film speed will determine your aperture. If it's a small aperture, your portable flash may be fine for individuals and couples and tight shots of small families, but not powerful enough for big group photos. The umbrella will drop your output a bit depending on the style. You can put the flash closer than you are, but just make sure it's not in the photo (not a problem with tele lenses) A fabric reflector kit can also be a good alternative, but sometimes makes people squint if they are not intent on a good photo (such as in a group situation)

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shootar401 View Post
    I'm primarily a natural light photographer
    So why the lights?

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Large Format
    My camera syncs up to 1/400sec so I should have no issues. I usually meter the ambient and set my fill 1/2 stop lower, or at the same. Or for certain shots 1-2 stops above the ambient reading.

Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    So why the lights?
    Really?
    Because I shoot PRIMARILY natural light, I still shoot strobes.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Depending on what you do, using strobes with mixed natural light can be tricky. If you just want a simple fill for shadows, just use a reflector. Reflectors don't need time to recycle, what you see is what you get and less complicated than packing and syncing strobes. It all depends on your style.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This seems like a really useful page: http://www.scantips.com/lights/flashbasics1c.html

It seems like you would lose ~ 2 ƒ-stops anyway by bouncing or off or diffusing through an umbrella. Ripstop nylon material is available at most fabric stores and could be hung on a t-bar (made from old tent poles or PVC pipe or whatever) atop a light stand for a larger diffusion source. You could even use a mirror a la Dean Collins and forgo the flash altogether and have auto-colorcorrected light.

Positioning your subject in the shade and building the lighting up is usually easier and more controllable. If suitable shade is not handy or doesn't offer the view you want consider making your own by positioning a ripstop nylon silk material between your subject and the sun. This alone can offer a beautiful light if the subjects face is lit satisfactorily, if not then add your flash or a reflector and possibly bring in a rim light. Or if you require a deeper shade the position a black material between the sun and your subject, and build up the lighting from there.
    DanQuan.com
    stand in the place where you are

Shooter
    Multi Format

Strobist doesn't work that well for film !

Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    There's always the Strobist approach...

http://strobist.blogspot.ca/
    Strobist doesn't work that well for film !

However, if you forget about the umbrellas, you can use a
    flash with a Lumiquest bounce card w the Silver Mylar insert
    Off - Camera.

The best solution I've found when shooting film, ( which is all I shoot ),
    is a Quantum X2 w a Lumedyne 067 pack. This is capable of 400 w/s.
    Not quite enough for flash key, but more than enough for flash fill.

The slower the film speed, the faster the lens & finally
    the faster the synch speed the better.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Chimping is the new Polaroid to check lighting. You can use your digicam as a electronic polaroid. The sensors don't have the same response curve as film though.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    someone here on apug is selling a KILLER location battery pack lumedyne light kit.
    it is priced VERY well, and is a staple for anyone who doesn't want to deal with cords
    if/when using a portable light source.
    lumedyne has been around for a long long time, and is a favorite of wedding photographers and others
    who don't want plugs.
    i have one ( the same kit being sold pretty much ) and it has worked flawlessly since purchased in 1988.

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum379/...e-systems.html

i don't have any connection with the seller other than having a similar kit ( used for newspaper work for years )
    and wanting to split up his kit to buy a booster but he wants to sell it all together ...
    good for the buyer, bad for me

john
    ask me how ..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin