Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,929   Posts: 1,585,219   Online: 795
      
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. #1
    Photo-gear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Montréal (Québec)
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    306
    Images
    9

    Gossen Lunasix F

    I just acquired a lightmeter Gossen Lunasix F.

    After learning how to use it, I realized there might be a calibrating problem. As a matter of fact, it looks like the measuring is one stop away (even 2) from the reading of another lightmeter camera (Nikon F80). Even the f16 rule doesn't seem to give equivalent results with the Lunasix.

    I don't have shoot accordingly to the Lunasix F yet, so I unfortunately could not give shot samples.

    Someone knows whether I could calibrate the Lunasix with the screw on the back. If so, how do I do it?

    Yours,

  2. #2
    CGW
    CGW is offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    2,797
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo-gear View Post
    I just acquired a lightmeter Gossen Lunasix F.

    After learning how to use it, I realized there might be a calibrating problem. As a matter of fact, it looks like the measuring is one stop away (even 2) from the reading of another lightmeter camera (Nikon F80). Even the f16 rule doesn't seem to give equivalent results with the Lunasix.

    I don't have shoot accordingly to the Lunasix F yet, so I unfortunately could not give shot samples.

    Someone knows whether I could calibrate the Lunasix with the screw on the back. If so, how do I do it?

    Yours,
    If you're using it in incident mode, keep in mind that your F80 reads reflected light, right?

    To calibrate it, use a known-accurate meter. This is the sort of problem that's always stopped me from buying old meters.

  3. #3
    Photo-gear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Montréal (Québec)
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    306
    Images
    9
    I used reflective mode.

    But, yeah, not too many gears get old easy, except some lenses...

    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    If you're using it in incident mode, keep in mind that your F80 reads reflected light, right?

    To calibrate it, use a known-accurate meter. This is the sort of problem that's always stopped me from buying old meters.

  4. #4
    vedmak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Chicago
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Posts
    313
    what did you test it on? a gray card?
    Multum egerunt, qui ante nos fuerunt, sed non peregedunt.

  5. #5
    Photo-gear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Montréal (Québec)
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    306
    Images
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by vedmak View Post
    what did you test it on? a gray card?
    Unfortunately not.
    As I said I compared the measuring by both the reliable camera (Nikon F80) and the Lunasix F. Not only on one scene but on several. Always with the same difference by one or two stops.

  6. #6
    Wade D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Jamul, CA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    892
    Images
    3
    It might need a battery with proper voltage. Most of the older meters used a 625 mercury battery rated at 1.35v which is no longer available. The newer batteries which fit are rated at 1.55v so the error might be 1 or 2 stops in the reading. Adapters are made to reduce the voltage and give a true reading. The zero adjust screw won't compensate for the error.

  7. #7
    Photo-gear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Montréal (Québec)
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    306
    Images
    9
    this one takes 6v and there is a fresh one in the compartment.

  8. #8
    MattKing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Delta, British Columbia, Canada
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    12,953
    Images
    60
    A Lunasix F should take a 9 volt battery.

    Any chance that there is an exposure modification dialed in on the ring that is there for that purpose?
    Matt

    “Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

    Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Belgium
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    2
    I usually start with a battery check and zero adjustment on the meter (usually a small scew marked as such on the back of the instrument). Then a test on a landscape with normal ligt (a cloudy day is even better) and a check with a camera with a normal lens (50 mm on a film camera) will do the job. Try to point away from the sun, a big grey surface is perfect. Hold meter and camera in the same direction. Std meter function on lightmeter, no bulb on the cell. Std meter function on camera, no spot metering.
    In such a test, a meter on a camera or a lightmeter can differ 1 stop, no 2 stops.
    FYI, You can always download the instruction book for your meter from the Gossen site (Germany). The also keep the instruction books for old meters availiable. Nice site.

  10. #10
    Photo-gear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Montréal (Québec)
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    306
    Images
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    A Lunasix F should take a 9 volt battery.

    Any chance that there is an exposure modification dialed in on the ring that is there for that purpose?
    My mistake: of course, I used 9 volts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin