Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,811   Posts: 1,581,555   Online: 948

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Haha ok I will not worry myself with the mysteries of magical smoke, as intriguing as it sounds.
    I ended up talking to a place in SA (Polyglot's hometown and my birthplace in fact) and the guy was awesome -
    took 15 minutes to chat and talk about other photogs who'd bought other transformers, downloaded the Elinchrom
    manual and went through it with me, did the maths and agreed that each light would need the 1500W separately.

But in the end I did order two of the 2000W stepdowns so that a. I can be comPLETEly sure it can deal with the load,
    and b. when I get around to adding more lights to my kit I'll already have enough plugs for them. If that makes sense.
    (Oh, and they were out of stock of the 1500W ones, so just to get on with the show and actually TAKE SOME PHOTOS soon, I
    grabbed the best available!) So, happy for now

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Holly View Post
    Haha ok I will not worry myself with the mysteries of magical smoke, as intriguing as it sounds.
    There's no mystery really. Those of us that tinker with electronics know that it's magic smoke which makes things work. When something goes wrong and the smoke is released, it doesn't work any more.

And I've released lots of smoke in my time!

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Well hey smoking is bad for your health so it's better out than in!
    I looked at that ebay link pic, compared it to the pic of the one I've just put an order in for,
    why does one have 110V and the other have 120V? Does that matter?
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/240v-110v...item3f0af8ab90
    http://performanceshop.com.au/2000W-...ct_description

Have a look at the enlarged pics and tell me if that matters.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Holly View Post
    why does one have 110V and the other have 120V? Does that matter?
    No, it doesn't matter.

Generally, these transformers will give you half the input voltage. The UK used to have a 240 volts mains supply and the rest of Europe was 220 volts. We have now standardised on 230 volts across Europe and I think Australia is 230 volts as well.

What this means is that you will probably get 115 volts out of both of them. A variation of ten volts either way on the mains supply is not uncommon and is nothing to worry about.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    But in the end I did order two of the 2000W stepdowns so that a. I can be comPLETEly sure it can deal with the load,
    and b. when I get around to adding more lights to my kit I'll already have enough plugs for them. If that makes sense.
    (Oh, and they were out of stock of the 1500W ones, so just to get on with the show and actually TAKE SOME PHOTOS soon, I
    grabbed the best available!) So, happy for now
    Result! And don't get doubts that you did the right thing buying from the guys you could talk to and are big enough to have a store. That way you get peace of mind and a decent warranty. Look forward to seeing some results in the gallery in due course!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    ... and I think Australia is 230 volts as well.
    Steve.
    We're still on 240V AC although it varies between 230V and 250V depending on what people have switched on.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Sounds like you're all set!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hope so! A big cheers to you guys for being so resourceful and helpful, honestly it's made the difference
    where it was greatly needed.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin