Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,678   Posts: 1,482,172   Online: 1042

Shooter
    Large Format

Lighting equipment voltage converter from 240V to 120V

Can I use a simple converter to step down voltage overseas from 240V to 120V when using US lighting equipment? Or do I need a heavy duty transformer? Any advice from experienced users?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nigelsim View Post
    Can I use a simple converter to step down voltage overseas from 240V to 120V when using US lighting equipment? Or do I need a heavy duty transformer? Any advice from experienced users?
    I have experience with this, having moved from the US to China. You have too look at the current draw of your equipment and match it to the transformer. For example, a simple Playstation 3 takes a big transformer. I suspect your lighting will draw even more than that, so yes, you'll need something heavy duty. If you get one that is marginal, or less, they will melt down in short order. It ain't pretty when that happens.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Check the labelling on your equipment - Much of the modern electronic stuff use what is called a Switched Mode Power Supply that will run quite happily on 120V or 240V. Some of the older equipment would sometimes have a small slider to switch between the two voltages. If you have neither, a small autotransformer may do the job but depending on the power rating, it could be quite heavy.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum57/1...-aus-help.html

Don't muck around, just read this thread thoroughly .
    You do need a specific stepdown transformer, and the one you get is determined by the total combined watts of your appliance/flash.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Holly View Post
    ...the one you get is determined by the total combined watts of your appliance/flash.
    I'm afraid it's not that simple.

The step-down transformer musts be sized based on the peak current drawn by the strobe system.
    This is significantly higher than the average power draw.

- Leigh
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” - Plato

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Nigel,
    Your profile doesn't state where on the globe you currently live, and your post doesn't
    address whether power transformers are needed for temporary, or long term purposes(?).

My experience has taught me that I don't want to travel with transformers.
    They're just too heavy. Transformers in the capacity you need will approach
    (and usually exceed), the size and weight of a bowling ball...or two.

Also, you will have much better luck getting the exact size/capacity transformers for your needs,
    if you rent or buy them in your destination country.

Not to worry. People in countries with 220v-240v line voltages are very experienced with
    properly sizing step-down transformers (for home, business, and commercial requirements),
    for any 110v-120v equipment application that you may have.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Thanks for all the advices! I managed to use the US lightings in Singapore with an inexpensive stepdown transformer. The pictures taken were great!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin