Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,750   Posts: 1,515,782   Online: 996

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Light meter

Shooter
    Multi Format

Light meter

Can anyone recommend an accurate handheld incident and reflective light/exposure meter?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Connie,
    Knowing your budget would be helpful. Use the search block in the upper right of the page.
    Help APUG save server space. Light meters have been discussed ad nauseam.

http://www.apug.org/forums/google.ph...chid%3D1182667

Marc

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    What Marc said.

But FWIW, I needed a small handheld meter just as you described. I picked up a Gossen Digisix meter -- really small, accurate and easy to use.

On a recent trip overseas, it performed flawlessly. Really accurate and even has an alarm function so I don't oversleep.
    "Never criticize someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, you're a mile away and you've got their shoes."

MY BLOG - www.reservedatalltimes.com
    YOU SHOULD LOOK AT THIS SITE - www.colincorneau.com
    INSTAGRAM: colincorneau

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    You eye and brain will do a great job. Joking with some seriousness in there.

I have not been able to find a small, great feeling light meter yet that did what I want.

Images
    If it's not too big for you and you are willing to shop on the used market, the Gossen Luna Pro or Luna Pro F is awesome, accurate, durable, and easy to read. It reads both incident and reflected light.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you want something that also works with flash, I recommend Sekonic. I use an L-508 which has a built in spot meter.
    http://www.zone-10.com

When you turn your camera on, does it return the favor?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jmcd View Post
    If it's not too big for you and you are willing to shop on the used market, the Gossen Luna Pro or Luna Pro F is awesome, accurate, durable, and easy to read. It reads both incident and reflected light.
    +1. My Luna Pro SBC has been a reliable companion for 31 years thus far. The "leather" case fell apart some time back but the meter still works like a charm.

Shooter
    35mm
    I would choose between analogue reading and digital reading first: digital allows a more immediate reading but only displays one couple, or the EV, with a decently big number, while analogue reading gives simultaneously several exposure couples, that's why some find it more practical, but might be more sensitive to shocks and harder to read for those with visual "challenges".

After you made that choice, any light meter with an SBC (silicon blue cell) and a currently available battery should fit your needs and you can certainly find a cheap occasion on some second-hand market. Anything marked Minolta, Gossen or Sekonic is of good quality. Minolta sold their lightmeter division to Kenko so a Kenko lightmeter after the Minolta acquisition is also very good.
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    any gossen meter will do!
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    For black & white I don't use a light meter, but do own a Western Master II and have a built in prism meter on my Hasselblad. However, if you would like a light meter that is both beautiful in design and function, can I suggest a Gossen Sixtry.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin