Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,011   Posts: 1,524,667   Online: 811

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Multi Format
    if / when you do sunny 16 does your reading match your camera or hand held ?
    i don't usually use a meter anymore and rely on intuition and experience.
    chromes + negative ... they come out OK ..

if you are worried about your meters,
    why don't you just calibrate them to match your cameras ?
    im empty, good luck

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    It could be a spectral response thing. It might be a calibration issue (you know you can tweak the Digisix). I think meters and cameras should agree.

I tested in open shade and in dark darkness of a garage and found my Spotmatic F and Sekonic Twin-Mate (reflective mode) could be made to agree.

I set the Shutter and f/stop from the Pentax onto the dial of the handheld meter. Then aimed and pressed the meter button several times holding it at different distances and angles until the needle matched the match-needle and every time afterwards. So it can vary because of the way you use it too.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chan Tran View Post
    I understand what Paul is concerned about. It's not so much of getting bad exposure but why do the cameras meter agree with each other and the hand held agree with each other but cameras and meters are different by 1 stop which is a significant amount. Yes I certainly think there is something wrong with your comparison but I don't know what.
    This whole thing started innocently enough.

I often travel with a Hasselblad w/ PME5 finder, and a Nikon F3HP and/or F4s. The meters always match pretty well for every scene.

Then I got my old Rolleiflex overhauled and started using it with my Gossen Digisix meter and my Nikons ( instead of the Hassy. )

My Digisix was reading generally 1 stop more light than my Nikon camera meters.

Then I compared the Digisix to my other hand held meters and a friend's meter. They all read consistently the same.

So now I attempt a little more controlled study and find the same thing.

Either my camera meters are out 1 one stop, or my hand helds are out 1 stop.

Hopefully I'm really doing something wrong.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burk View Post
    I think meters and cameras should agree.
    Yes!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You should be able to adjust your meter to calibrate it easily. The procedures and locations of the buttons all vary. Mine is within the battery compartment. I'd consult the manual. Adjust it, and everything should be the same then.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As I recall, the gray card isn't meant to be read straight on but at an angle to the light source or at an angle to the meter.
    I should have Kodak's instructions around here.

Didn't Hicks write an article about gray cards actually being 12%?.................OH GOODY! Another twist!

I don't think I'd go adjusting anything until you're sure what's going on.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin