Switch to English Language Passer en langue franÁaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,712   Posts: 1,482,997   Online: 825

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

Which is the right boom for me?

Hi all
    I'm looking for a boom. Which one should I get?
    That's the short of it. The long of it is: the boom would need to carry 2.6kg strobe+modifiers of various kinds, and
    be flexible enough to fit into a small room, and clear the top of a standing person's head. (Also it would be good if it
    didn't break and fall on me, pinning me underneath my heavy gear for several days until I expire. So, sturdy.)

I have no idea whether I just need an arm to attach to a stand which I already have, or if I need a whole other kit of
    things. There seems to be a million options for booms out there, so if someone can point me in the right direction
    to search that would be marvellous.
    Cheers

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Manfrotto makes a couple with different capabilities. I don't think that one that would carry the weight will work on a common light stand though.
    Manfrotto should also have recommendations for stands and they are very likely to be available on your side of the globe too.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Large Format
    óEric

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Holly, I think you are best to go and have a look in store. I have been tempted by some of the booms that you see on ebay, but am always a little concerned about how much weight they can hold.

What light stands do you have?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've just got a couple of these: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...uty_Light.html

Wish there was a good place to go look in-store at booms, but sadly there ain't much choice where I live - something like that
    would probably have to be ordered in anyway. (Try-before-buy would be great because it's often not until I'm up to my neck in a shoot dealing with the
    actual technical situations that I know exactly what I would need.)

Flexibility is key though. I'm now looking at buying a couple more strobes (D-lite IT 4 maaaaybe..dunno yet, indecisive!) and putting them on one of these: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...y_C_Stand.html

with one of these: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Boom_4_25.html

Am then thinking of adding a backlight stand by Manfrotto which I like the looks of, so the two extra lights will both have stands, and the Avenger
    can be a boom when needed.
    What do you guys think? The c stand I've linked is actually what a B+H sales rep recommended for me, whether he knows his stuff well is
    another thing.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I have the D600, and itís a great choice when I need to fly out a heavy and bulky light/modifier several feet from the stand.

The Impact stand you presently have or a C-stand will handle the D600 boom, but I feel they would be a little light if you were to load the D600 with the weight and counterbalance itís capable of carrying.

When I have a situation that requires the D600, I prefer a wheeled stand with a larger footprint so I can move it about easier. The Avenger A5036CS works well, and is easy to sandbag.

For less strenuous setups, you might want to consider a baby combo-boom stand like the Avenger A4041B. Iíve never used this stand, but it looks interesting.
    óEric

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by resummerfield View Post
    I have the D600, and itís a great choice when I need to fly out a heavy and bulky light/modifier several feet from the stand.

The Impact stand you presently have or a C-stand will handle the D600 boom, but I feel they would be a little light if you were to load the D600 with the weight and counterbalance itís capable of carrying.

When I have a situation that requires the D600, I prefer a wheeled stand with a larger footprint so I can move it about easier. The Avenger A5036CS works well, and is easy to sandbag.

For less strenuous setups, you might want to consider a baby combo-boom stand like the Avenger A4041B. Iíve never used this stand, but it looks interesting.
    hmm how do you think the Impact stand would go if loaded down with lots of sandbags?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you want a versatile stand with integral boom you might consider the Matthews Magic Stand (link).

Best,
    Helen

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I'll put in a vote for the Avenger boom and stand. I have one and have had no problem mounting a head from either my Calumet/Bowens Elite pack/head kit or the heavier Bowens head from my friend's Bowens QuadX, AND a very large softbox (18" x 60" or thereabouts). I never tried putting one of my monolights on it but I have total confidence that it would work just fine.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Holly View Post
    hmm how do you think the Impact stand would go if loaded down with lots of sandbags?
    The Impact stand should be fine, especially with a sandbag on the legs, provided you balance the boom with counterweights so as to avoid tipping loads on the stand.
    óEric

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  ó   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin