Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,526   Posts: 1,543,919   Online: 1114

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Minolta Flash Meter IV won't wake up

So I just got a Minolta Flash Meter IV from KEH. It seemed to work fine and I played around with it for ten minutes or so. It then went into sleep mode and I couldn't get it to wake up! No amount of pushing the "on" button would rouse it, and removing the battery didn't help either. (I don't have the LR44 battery in there as that's just for the optional IR doohicky. Just the AA battery. I did put in an LR44 to see if that made a difference, but it doesn't).

I then realized that if I keep the battery out for an extended period of time, the unit will work again. It resets to the factory defaults (ISO 64 etc) but continues to function until it goes into sleep mode. If it goes to sleep and I hit the on button immediately, it wakes up. But if it sits for even a few seconds, it's dead.

Is there something about this meter's operation that I'm missing? Or it merely a bad meter in need of a replacement? Thanks.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Your AA battery is probably dead. Having it work momentarily then die, only to come back for a bit after resting the cell is classic behaviour of a marginal cell.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Unfortunately that's not the problem. I've tried four different batteries, no luck. Same response each time!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Send it to George at Quality Light Metric. He fixed my Flash Meter IV by replacing the whole main circuit board for $100
    Chris Crawford
    Fine Art Photography of Indiana and other places no one else photographs.

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com

My Tested Developing Times with the films and developers I use

Become a fan of my work on Facebook

Fort Wayne, Indiana

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for the suggestion, Chris! But I'm just trying to make sure this isn't operator error before returning it to KEH. I only paid $75 for it so a repair is out of the question.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would try cleaning up the battery contacts. Deoxit or similar (or just scratch it with a pocket knife if you're as cruel to your electronics as I am to mine). My Auto Meter IIIF does some wonky things when the battery is low and/or the contacts are corroded.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Send it back.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Sowers: gave it a try, the first time it seemed to wake up, but then it continued with its bad behavior. There's a window where if I wake it up shortly after it goes to sleep, it will come back. But if it goes longer, it won't come back unless I remove the battery for an extended period of time.

Jim: Yes, that's the conclusion I'm coming to.

Thanks for everyone's input. Time to get a working one.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Bugger. Another vote for returning it - KEH are good about returns.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Bought two Autometer IVs used. First was DOA. The second gave totally wonky readings. Suspect long damp storage in the second case since corrosion was evident on the circuit board--nothing to do with battery leakage. Got a Sekonic 558 and never looked back.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin