Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,913   Posts: 1,584,698   Online: 679

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Are these flashbulbs safe to use?

I just received my Crown Graphic 23 from the 'bay. The seller included a Graflite setup and about a dozen bulbs. There is a brown staining around the base of the glass - I'm wondering if they're safe to use or not.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bubs.jpg   flash.jpg  
    ~ Michelle

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    To meet current safety standards, I'd recommend putting a clear dome in front of the flash unit in case the bulb shatters.

I assume a fair amount of these bulbs shattered in their day - based on the warnings printed on the packaging of "safety" bulbs.

But I bet they would fire off just fine.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    All of my Nr. 11 bulbs have that same "staining".

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Cool. Good to know. Now I've just got to find a battery pack for this things and I'm off.

To meet current safety standards, I'd recommend putting a clear dome in front of the flash unit in case the bulb shatters.
    But then I don't get to scare everyone half to death with my obnoxious flash
    ~ Michelle

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mfratt View Post
    ... But then I don't get to scare everyone half to death with my obnoxious flash
    You will. Get prepared with a soothing response.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    When I was about 17, I worked as an assistant photographer for a guy who told me that on VE day after WWII he was taking photographs of people celebrating in a town centre and he was using a plate camera with flash. One of his flash bulbs exploded and some of the shards of glass hit a girl in front of him (no injury incurred) and she later became his wife.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Exploding flash bulbs, who knew? I set fire to the girl I eventually married. Fortunately no real damage. Did leave a red mark for a few days...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ambaker View Post
    Exploding flash bulbs, who knew? I set fire to the girl I eventually married. Fortunately no real damage. Did leave a red mark for a few days...
    *sings* c'mon baby light my fire
    its time to set me on.... FIIIIIREEEEEEEEE WOAH
    ~ Michelle

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That song was popular about that time, too. It was an accident, but she did wind up with flaming gasoline on her jeans. Fortunately there was a fire extinguisher handy.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    What's the worst that could happen? Just take it to an open space and fire it (maybe make sure there's no one within 20m).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin