Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,832   Posts: 1,582,340   Online: 955

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

How to replace batteries of Metz 45 CL-4 flash

The rechargeable battery set in my Metz 45 CL-4 (non-digital version) seems to be shot. It charges up but then goes dead fairly quick.

I've taken the pack out and looked at the diagram on Page 80 of the manual (attached). However, I seem unable to remove the batteries themsevles (which are "Metz NiCd" batteries) - pinching the side of the pack once removed from the unit as directed does not release the batteriesfrom the pack itself. I note the text below says :

Fig. 4b: Opening the battery housing
    (only with BAT-version, otherwise optional extra)
    . So perhaps mine is not the 'BAT-version'?

I read elsewhere that Metz does not want people swapping the batteries without the whole pack. Not sure if that's true but it seems the case with my flash. Is that expected?

Anyway, I did some searching and found a replacement Metz battery pack available here : http://www.fotosense.co.uk/metz-nimh...Fa4mtAodqHQR_w and a not-inexpensive £80 or thereabouts! Is that normal? I found this at Amazon (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Metz-Recharg.../dp/B000KVP982) but it states it is for the digital flash. I'm not sure if the two types use the same batteries?

If that is the case, I might as well buy an entire new flash from ffordes (http://www.ffordes.co.uk/product/11082310574781)

I was hoping I could remove the batteries and just put normal non-rechargeable ones in it and replace them as they go flat. Is that not how it works? Do I have to use these entire packs?

Ted
    Attached Files
    Last edited by ted_smith; 07-08-2012 at 07:00 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ted Smith Photography
    Hasselblad 501CM...my 2nd love.

Shooter
    35mm
    I am quite sure that all the battery packs for the Metz 45 series are the same. The rechargable pack is optional and Metz doesn't want user to take it apart. The one in the figure 4b is one that uses standard AA alkaline batteries. It's normal for the price of the Metz battery pack to be quite high. I think one can carefully disassemble the pack and replace the batteries with new NiMH cells.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ted:

See the first two points "Point Worth Knowing" on the 2nd page of your manual (numbered 41). To use "normal" batteries, you need a different battery holder - accessory 45-39.

Here is an eBay listing for one in South Africa: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Metz-45-39-AA...item4603e0590b

I don't know whether you could use the NiMH Rechargeable cells in your older flash. I would be careful.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm
    The 45-CL-4 is not an old flash. It's quite new. But even back in late 70's when I bought my 45-CT1 it can use NiCad batteries and of course I have to buy the cluster from Metz. The cluster has special key so that the flash would know whether you use rechargable or alkaline.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you take a look inside the bottom of the flash where the battery pack goes you'll see 3 pins. One is common, one for AA 1.5x6=9v, and the third for niCd 1.2x6=7.2v. Hence the different packs.

If you can find a place that rebuilds battery packs they may be able to replace the niCds. NiMh cell have different charge characteristics so not really recommended unless you change the charger.

George

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi Ted I find rechargeable batteries in my 2 Metz 45 flash guns a pain because if you don't use them regularly they tend to be flat when I need to use them, I suggest you buy yourself this battery holder that uses 6 AA alkaline batteries from Amazon for less than £20 and problem solved http://www.amazon.co.uk/Metz-Batteri...1833050&sr=8-1
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use battery bag 45-39 and 6 eneloops.
    OM-1n: Do I need to own a Leica?
    Rolleicord Va: Humble.
    Holga 120GFN: Amazingly simple yet it produces outstanding negatives to print.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have an old Sunpack 611 potato masher that has a rechargable battery pack using 4 cells that are slightly smaller than the regular C cell. If I don't use the battery pack I can load that same compartment with 4 regular C cells. Neither of these battery options has ever given me a full days of service, now that the battery pack is older it hardly even holds a charge for 10 minutes. THese packs are expensive n hard to find.My solution... get rid of the standard batteries n replace it with an external DIY lead acid remote battery.

I figured out the circuit of the battery pack using my meter to see which contacts are needed to power the flash n polarity. I removed the cells of the battery pack and replaced them with wooden dowels the same size as the cells. The dowels that fell on the needed power contacts; I drilled them n ran my pos n neg wires to a washer glued to the bottom that will sit on the proper contacts. I made a slot in the lid so when I put the lid on the batttery compartment, my leads will clear.

My flash is now powered by a small sealed lead acid 6V battery I hang off my shoulder in a small fanny pack. The charge on the battery will last days of continuous use compared to the few hundred flashes I would get off a set of batteries both rechargeable or regular C.

My lead acid battery is easily charged using a small car trickle charger meant for a 6V battery. These lead acid batteries come in different voltages so you can taylor your DIY remote battery to your flash very easily.
    Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by baachitraka View Post
    I use battery bag 45-39 and 6 eneloops.
    I put the eneloop XX high capacity batteries in mine (45 CL-1) & used it for 3 full sessions with more to go.

For $5.00 PER battery they better be good
    Last edited by dances_w_clouds; 07-09-2012 at 09:44 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks to all who have inputted to this. It's very helpgful. But Benjiboy, yours was the answer I was looking for! I assume it will be OK in the 45 CL-4 and allow me to just stuff it full of 6 x AA Duracell batteries and shoot away? Some others have stated about power variances? Is yours OK using it like that?

I'd certainly prefer this solution because then I can just buy a massive box of batteries and know that I have plenty of pwower when I need it without owrrying about lag or poor performing worn out batteries.

Ted
    Ted Smith Photography
    Hasselblad 501CM...my 2nd love.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin