Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,545   Posts: 1,544,452   Online: 1010

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Though, of course, you will fail.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Leigh B View Post
    Yeah, I'll go along with that. Perhaps not 60, but certainly 40 or more.Leigh
    Electronic flashes became available to a wider public after 1945. Even in Germany there were at least 13 portable types on the market in 1952. My oldest one is exactly 60 years old.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Leigh B View Post
    Yeah, I'll go along with that. Perhaps not 60, but certainly 40 or more.

- Leigh
    A Sylvania Wabash electronic flash that I keep for occasional use was first marketed in 1946, but uses oil filled capacitors rather than electrolytic. The capacitors in my three units are fine, but two of the power transformers and some of the wiring has failed. Old 2000 volt equipment requires some caution when being used or repaired!

Shooter
    35mm
    Perhaps Leigh B's comment in respect of APUG not being Twitter was just dry wit. Dry wit as long as it is maintained and used properly never leaks and a big dose of it can cure a lot of things.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Of you happend to have old BALCAR units, then be carefull of you open them. They have paper capasitators that are hard to drain before working on the unit!
    "...If you can not stand the rustle of the leafs, then do not go in to the woods..."
    (freely translated quote by Guido Gezelle)

PS: English is only my third language, please do forgive me my sloppy grammar...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This is very interesting as I have many old 'Braun Hobby' units from the 1950'-60's which used to work with lead-acid accumulators and the 'Vibrator' system -- well of course all the small accumulators have long since dried up BUT they all work plugged into the mains still !! I sometimes plug them in for a while without firing a flash --- the 'charge ready' light still comes on.
    An 'Old Dog still learning New Tricks !

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin