Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,197   Posts: 1,531,415   Online: 855

Shooter
    Multi Format

it doesnt even matter...

as long as your non-defined blacks are below your black point and your non-defined whites are above you your white point, you can place your 18% or 9% or 72% any where you want; regardless of asa or EV.

For example, i'm shooting btzs and running at ev. so for positioning i can place my 72% or 4.5% or whatever wherever i want as long as i consider base black-point and white-point, easy peasy! but it's a sliding scale based on iso you say, so, i just jack the meter or my brain to compensate. it's still the same set of numbers, just slid up or down a bit twixt the ev scale, time and temp and stars being constant...

or is the fermented hops and barley working against me?

when i say "it doesnt even matter" im talking iso and keeping whatever ratios and meaning positioning relative to, of course.
    Last edited by Dan Quan; 07-29-2012 at 05:46 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    DanQuan.com
    stand in the place where you are

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    It's not what is outside the printable range that matters, it's what's inside.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Second point, it does matter, exposure changes, change grain and other things.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by markbarendt View Post
    It's not what is outside the printable range that matters, it's what's inside.

Quote Originally Posted by markbarendt View Post
    Second point, it does matter, exposure changes, change grain and other things.

yeah, but the ratios remain constant (and thats really the crux) regardless of iso exposure. so as long as i compensate for ev variance, either in my head or on the meter i'm good to go.
    DanQuan.com

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Quan View Post
    as long as your non-defined blacks are below your black point and your non-defined whites are above you your white point, you can place your 18% or 9% or 72% any where you want; regardless of asa or EV.

For example, i'm shooting btzs and running at ev. so for positioning i can place my 72% or 4.5% or whatever wherever i want as long as i consider base black-point and white-point, easy peasy! but it's a sliding scale based on iso you say, so, i just jack the meter or my brain to compensate. it's still the same set of numbers, just slid up or down a bit twixt the ev scale, time and temp and stars being constant...

or is the fermented hops and barley working against me?

when i say "it doesnt even matter" im talking iso and keeping whatever ratios and meaning positioning relative to, of course.
    What on earth are you talking about?

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    ok, im running at ev, so lets say my low ev is 9 and my high ev is 14. i can switch to any asa and measure my reflected values and use the readings as long as i keep the ratios and compensate TO my ev high and low.

as a placement method for reflected readings.
    DanQuan.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    What on earth are you talking about?
    just simple exposer.
    DanQuan.com

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin