Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,540   Posts: 1,544,320   Online: 941

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Images

Thoughts on "budget" lighting set ups?

I am well aware of the "buy the best tool you can afford" but when you can't afford much you start looking for options. So what are your thoughts on the budget lighting kits out there? My main camera will be a 4x5 with RF holder and regular holders.

There will be people involved as well as still life stuff.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Are you referring to lighting kits as in studio strobes?

I always recommend Alien Bees for two reasons. They keep their resale value - a used AB800 goes for about $225 no matter how old it is. The second is that they are durable, and easy to replace if broken. A brand new AB800 is about $275. The output isn't as steady as something like a Broncolor or Elinchrome head, but for my purposes they are fine.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you are DIY person, the book "Low Budget Shooting, Do It Yourself Solutions to Professional Photo Gear" by Cyrill Harnischmacher has lots of ideas on building your own light tents, reflectors, diffusors, etc.

Images
    Yep thinking of strobes.

I have looked at the alien bees and while nice are a bit out of the price range for 2 more strobes. I have one, Cheap ol thing but it has served me well when I have used it. It is in storage though and can't remember the name. I was looking at the cheap kits at Adorama and wondering.

Thanks for the book title. DIY and I get along fine.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    How about this redneck lighting setup: Go to Home Depot and get a couple clamp-on lamps and a piece of white styrofoam for $9 each, a couple of 80w CFLs at $20. Tie a diaper over each lamp for a diffuser and you're in business.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A diaper?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ya, a cloth diaper, 1 or 2 layers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That's not a fire hazard?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sure, if you keep it on for a long time. But one layer of diaper (essentially gauze) shouldn't restrict air flow so much as to cause a rapid build up of heat. They put out about 4 times the lumens per watt as incandescent.

But hey, when did a redneck ever worry about starting a little fire? That's usually when the fun begins.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    LOL!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin