Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,933   Posts: 1,585,515   Online: 851

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you let the flash charge and run for a while without flashing it, the capacitor might re-form and the flash begin to function normally.

Sometimes the capacitors will come back to life, more often they don't. But it's worth a try. I have an old Honeywell from the early 60s, if I let it sit without use, the capacitor loses it's form. Charge the capacitor for a while, and the flash functions normally; I use it as a slave.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mr rusty View Post
    May I just had, don't mess with trying to repair flashes if you don't really know what you are doing. I didn't and did. I had a "little knowledge" that discharging the capaitor might be a good idea. The bang when the screwdriver shunted the terminals was something else and scared the s***s out of me. Decided I wouldn't do that again!
    Well, I dit exactly the same with two screwdrivers when I still was at school. I learned my lesson...

But you are right: Everybody be warned fiddling around with high-voltage capacitators!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Safety is always a paramount concern when dealing with high-voltage equipment.

Even a small capacitor in a camera-mounted flash can store enough charge to kill a person.

If you're not familiar with proper methods for servicing high-voltage equipment, don't try it.

- Leigh
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” - Plato

Shooter
    35mm
    To discharge the capacitor I use a low end Fluke DMM (model 114) and in their low end models they have what is called a Low Z voltage mode which the impedance of the meter is only 2 KOhms vs the normal 10 MOhms impedance. It would discharge the capacitor safely, reasonably fast and also tells you what the voltage is.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin