Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,929   Posts: 1,585,227   Online: 823

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Pentax 67 165mm late LS lens: 3 shots ok, 7 shots half frame only???

Hi all,

I have been looking fwd to using my Pentax 67 with wireless flash. I bought a 165mm Leaf shutter lens and use a cable from the lens to my wireless trigger to action the flash.

I just developed my 1st roll and it seems that 3 shots are as expected and 7 shots show only half a frame with the lower half being black. I remembered to cock the LS lens each time, and the body was set to 'X' on the shutter speed dial.

Is it just a loose connection in my cable? Or are there other possibilities I can investigate.

Thanks

Paul
    Speed Graphic, Fuji GX680,Pentax 67, Mamiya RZ67, Mamiya 645 1000s, Nikon F5, Nikon Fm2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 10speeduk View Post
    Hi all,

I have been looking fwd to using my Pentax 67 with wireless flash. I bought a 165mm Leaf shutter lens and use a cable from the lens to my wireless trigger to action the flash.

I just developed my 1st roll and it seems that 3 shots are as expected and 7 shots show only half a frame with the lower half being black. I remembered to cock the LS lens each time, and the body was set to 'X' on the shutter speed dial.

Is it just a loose connection in my cable? Or are there other possibilities I can investigate.

Thanks

Paul
    Ok all some more info, the first 3 shots were half black, the 2nd 3 shots were fine and the last 4 were half black. I have attached copies. Any ideas? I did not change any settings throughout the Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img579.jpg   img580.jpg  
    Speed Graphic, Fuji GX680,Pentax 67, Mamiya RZ67, Mamiya 645 1000s, Nikon F5, Nikon Fm2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I would say you must have had your focal-plane shutter speed set to high. Using a leaf shutter lens with my Penny 67 I keep the cameras shutter speed at 1/8th second since the lens shutter has to do it's work. I have the same lens and it's a very good one. JohnW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Funny, I posted a reply and it shows that I did with my name, but no reply seems to have been entered. Well, here goes again.................What was your cameras shutter speed set at? When using a leaf shutter lens I set my camera shutter, not the lenses leaf shutter, to 1/8th sec.. If you have it set too high you get your follower cutain trap by the flash. If you have the cameras shutter set low, like 1/8th sec., then it could be a dragging first curtain maybe. JohnW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Well, now I see the first reply that was there then disappeared and is now back again. VooDoo!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The 165mm LS is one of the finest and does not need a finger pointed at it; problems come up are in the "small detail" relating to correct use of either this LS lens or its smaller 90mm cousin. In leaf shutter mode the camera-side shutter speed must be set to 1/8 or only part of the frame will be exposed. A higher sync speed can also dramatically raise the risk of damage to the LS mechanism and the camera shutter. It really is important to get on top of it as a priority.
    “The photographer must determine how he wants the finished print to look before he exposes the negative.
    Before releasing the shutter, he must seek 'the flame of recognition,' a sense that the picture would reveal
    the greater mystery of things...more clearly than the eyes see."
    ~Edward Weston, 1922.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks guys! A simple solution. Is x 1/30?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    On the 67, X-sync is 1/30. In leaf shutter mode, the flash sync cord is connected directly to the sync socket on the LS lens, not the camera.

With regard to the focal plane shutter/leaf shutter relationship: wWith a leaf shutter lens attached and leaf shutter mode engaged, sync must be reduced to 1/8 on the camera side or it will not synchronise with the leaf shutter (half frame banded/unexposed). Another point to make is that MLU cannot be engaged with the 165mm leaf shutter lens.

Be aware that if the shutter speed dial is set to anywhere between actual speeds ("blank space") a mirror hang situation will arise. Only use the marked shutter speeds.
    Last edited by Poisson Du Jour; 09-23-2012 at 07:58 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    “The photographer must determine how he wants the finished print to look before he exposes the negative.
    Before releasing the shutter, he must seek 'the flame of recognition,' a sense that the picture would reveal
    ~Edward Weston, 1922.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisson Du Jour View Post
    On the 67, X-sync is 1/30. In leaf shutter mode, the flash sync cord is connected directly to the sync socket on the LS lens, not the camera.

With regard to the focal plane shutter/leaf shutter relationship: wWith a leaf shutter lens attached and leaf shutter mode engaged, sync must be reduced to 1/8 on the camera side or it will not synchronise with the leaf shutter (half frame banded/unexposed). Another point to make is that MLU cannot be engaged with the 165mm leaf shutter lens.

Be aware that if the shutter speed dial is set to anywhere between actual speeds ("blank space") a mirror hang situation will arise. Only use the marked shutter speeds.
    I must say that you have been a big help to me in using my 165mm LS lens and it's nice to have people like you around. I salute you! JohnW

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    John, the information provided is readily available in the instructions supplied with the 90mm and 165mm leaf shutter lenses, and nothing is overlooked; users really have to put on one of these LS lenses and go through the RRR (rote, repetition and refinement) of movements. In active practice, the procedure of making sure everything is 'just so' and how it is meant to be can be mentally taxing, and mistakes can happen. Given the expense of camera and/or lens(es), coming to grips with the critical detail can save people unfamiliar with the operation a lot of angst. It's a fact that with the 67 /6x7 bodies, mistakes in operation can and do lead to damage of either the camera or the lens or both (focal plane shutter and leaf shutter coupling). Just one of the many varied engineering quirks of the Pentax system!

• If you have the patience, download the instructions from this stupid site. Rate the lens (!) and comment on it (!!) and with lucky charms a-clicking, the (grotty) download should beginneth.
    Last edited by Poisson Du Jour; 09-23-2012 at 10:26 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    ~Edward Weston, 1922.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin