Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,943   Posts: 1,557,714   Online: 1277

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Good light stands

I'm piecing together my first lighting kit. I got a tripod, reflector/stand, so now my next major purchases are a monlight/modifer and a light stand. I haven't figured the former out yet but I'm thinking Einstein E640 + vagabond mini + 64" Soft Silver PLM umbrella as of now...

With light stands, I don't know where to start. I guess from the PCB website, since it is nicely laid out for beginners.

http://www.paulcbuff.com/ts13ac.php

I was thinking this one, but I didn't want to jump in on this one without considering my options.

What are some good brands and recommendations? I want something that won't fall apart on me. obviously My idea is to get full-body environmental portraits so I'm thinking of getting a 11-13' stand to start? Portability and ease of setup is desired.
    Last edited by msbarnes; 10-07-2012 at 11:21 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    11-13' is really high. They are going to be difficult to control (balance, wind) at full extension. Do you really need that height? If so, the PCB stands might be the way to go, though I don't have any personal experience with them.

I really like my Lowel KS 9' stands. I've had them for 30 years. They are easy to transport, sturdy and can easily handle a medium sized light or light modifier. They can handle a sandbag or two as well to hold it steady. Get used ones on ebay cheap. Another choice for sturdiness and height would be a C stand. Heavy and a bit awkward, these are the gold standard for holding stuff up-- fixtures or light modifiers. A gobo arm adds additional height and versatility. Drop a couple of sandbags on it and it's not moving anywhere. Get some with the so-called rocky mountain leg for uneven terrain.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I'd stick with a 9' or thereabouts stand. Good brands are Manfrotto, Mathews, and Avenger. Will you be hanging the Vagabond Mini from the light stand or sitting it on the ground? The more you intend to hang on the stand, the beefier you want the stand sections to be.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    get bogens
    they aren't expensive
    and strong as a tank

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Since you have monolights, I suggest something heavier duty and something with a wide foot print. If you don't mind the weight, take a look at Mathews.

http://www.msegrip.com/product/stands-1.html
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

ROL
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    "Good light stands"

Precisely. That's all I'm saying, really. What else does one really need to know?

Sorry, the title just struck me all anthem like. We now return to our regular programming...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    One thing you might want to consider how repairable they are. Some stands are riveted together while some use stand nuts and bolts available from hardware stores. Mathews and Manfrottos are pretty repairable. Don't waste your money on cheap stands. Good light stands will last a lifetime. The last consideration is if you want to use grip equipment with your light stands. I have Mathews and Colortran stands that will allow me to use 40" gobo arms and use lights as well as flags and scrims. You might have to buy adaptors for your lights though.
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    I've been happy with Calumet-branded stands. Inexpensive and durable.

http://www.calumetphoto.com/eng/brow...brands/calumet
    Last edited by Dismayed; 10-08-2012 at 04:28 PM. Click to view previous post history.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    get bogens
    they aren't expensive
    and strong as a tank
    Manfrotto stands are also branded as Bogen.

Manfrotto is definitely the manufacturer with the greatest choice. Have a look at their catalogue. After choosing the type that fits your needs best (or evokes your needs...) you could still look at competitors for similar gear.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    At $44.00 each you can get two of the 10' air cushioned Calumets for less than one Buff.
    Calumet also has the 8' cushioned stands for $33.00. If you're using them indoors, most US homes are 8'.
    Out doors for stability sandbags can be your friend.(supply your own sand)
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin