Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,968   Posts: 1,558,471   Online: 1029

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

What Lights to Get to Replace my Old RPS Lights?

I have a set of RPS lights like the ones in the photos. It uses old style blue colored light bulbs with aluminum reflectors. The light stands are very good. I'm thinking about replacing the entire light heads (with the reflectors) with the new styled multiple-socket light heads and light boxes. The old head just used one light bulbs and the bulbs are too hot on anything or anybody.

This is for shooting still pictures of products now. May expand and include light portrait work.

Any suggestion what I should get? Prefer to keep it within the budget and no plan to get a full blown studio kid yet (even though that is not a huge amount).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	$(KGrHqRHJ!wE-dS4FSVuBPqE82hZzg~~60_57[1].jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	183.6 KB 
ID:	58240Click image for larger version. 

Name:	$(KGrHqNHJCsE-nMJ454BBPqFUTRsWQ~~60_57[1].jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	238.7 KB 
ID:	58241Click image for larger version. 

Name:	$(KGrHqFHJDcE90pevi)lBPqF!WBm8Q~~60_57[1].jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	96.3 KB 
ID:	58242
    Last edited by RedSun; 10-09-2012 at 10:33 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The modern equal are large(ish) 'compact' flourescent that are daylight balanced in thier gas mix.

With them there is no need to filter out the bulk of the lower temperature tungsten emission spectra with the blue filtering to just pass emission of the daylight balanced portion of their spectra.

Then there are also banks of daylight balanced LED's coming to market in the theatrical lighting business. I have not looked to see if they have crossed into the photo lighting spectrum. The LED emisions are very spiky, so colour balance is likely not daylight balanced withthe theatrical LED's yet.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    35mm
    I am not into studio work, but I have noticed that there seems to be a number of studio lights available over here that use banks of LED's. They run very cool and are close to daylight quality.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I see most of the new studio light kits are multi-bulb heads that use new type spiral bulbs. I should get a couple of them. Just not sure if I need all the light boxes, etc....

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Fotodiox makes a series of lamp heads that take multiple bulbs. They're square grids with 16 sockets, and there's a less powerful version with I want to say 9, but I don't remember (I have the 16). They're not expensive, and output a tremendous amount of light. I would recommend getting some kind of light control device with them, like a softbox with removable front diffusion panel, because otherwise they spill light all over the place.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Have to ask the question?
    Why not just replace the bulbs with the CFL?
    http://www.freestylephoto.biz/2085-J...placement-Bulb
    You have stands and reflectors, why not new light bulbs?

Aj

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Since this is just a single head, what wattage of the bulbs do I need? I was afraid the light is not powerful enough.

Are the spiral bulbs are the best ones to get? I just do not want the hot ones since that is bad for the subject being photographed.
    Last edited by RedSun; 10-17-2012 at 08:19 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The biggest 'compact' flourescent I have seen recently in a photo retailer looks to have three u shaped tubes that connect to one base.
    The base is quite wide before it tapers to the meduim screw shell section.
    So while it may screw into the socket you have, it's base may be too wide for the throat of the old hot light reflectors.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm thinking of keeping the socket and replace the bulbs only, as someone suggested.

If I'm going to change the sockets, it may be better to replace the entire head, with umbrella or light box.... I think they are better than the reflectors I have. But I prefer to keep the costs down for now.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin