Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,536   Posts: 1,572,737   Online: 759

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need a head

Shooter
    35mm

I need a head

I need a head. One that looks rather human. Is there a source?

A plastic one would be OK but it would have to reflect light light as a human one would. I want to explore how hot lights hit the various crevices because, usually, when I have practiced simple protraiture, it's the eyesockets that end up being dark.

I have looked at Hollowe'en masks but they do not really work here. Ideally, a mannequin would be excellent but I ask for low cost sources or ideas on how one could set up a 'head' and practice until perfect. Thanks. NOTE: if the material is not opaque I could easily put backing in it to make up for that. - David Lyga
    Last edited by David Lyga; 10-19-2012 at 09:48 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format

Shooter
    35mm
    Thank you Ian. I will wait for local sources if possible. But this is good to know what is available. - David Lyga

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hay David,
    I picked up a foam head and a face looking cover for $ 7.00 at a wig and costume store. I used it for a portrait class with lights. You can see the images here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/5337685...7627769252618/ I got a woman and a man one at $ 7.00 each. Worked well and the instructor, a fellow hippie from my Flower Power days commended me on my friends I hang out with and posing for me.

Hope it helps.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you know anyone who went to hair stylist school, they probably have a head in their closet that they aren't using. A friend from high school sent me one, though I haven't used it, yet.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm another foam head, from a wig shop, user. There must be a wig shop in Philly. Look around the African American area... they tend to have lots of wig shops.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A plaster head like this one would work well I think. This is more than I would want to pay, but if I could get one for around $30 i would use it for drawing and photographic lighting exercises.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Definitely in the running for the 2012 best thread title award!
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    Definitely in the running for the 2012 best thread title award!
    Maybe if the word some was in it. Not that my mind goes there. Often.

Did you enjoy the lighting techniques on the foam head with a face on Flickr?

Shooter
    35mm
    Thank you all for the advice, especially about the wig shops (in the African-American neighborhoods!) There are NO shortage of those particular shops in Philadelphia.

Yes, it must be admitted that I was trying to be funny with the title but with 'some' added before 'head' that would simply have been too much for the moderator to bear (or bare)! You are both prescient and 'aware'. But let me stop while I am 'ahead'.

MattKing: you started it all. - David Lyga
    Last edited by David Lyga; 10-20-2012 at 12:24 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin