Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,200   Posts: 1,531,490   Online: 930

Thread: ideal lighting

Shooter
    Large Format

ideal lighting

Hi. I’m a newbie and the attached are from my first time out with my new d7000/housing. Not particularly interesting photos I know, but I only had an hour so I gave it a go snorkelling with no strobes.

I plan to return with scuba gear and more time to work on composition etc and maybe add a model. This spot is a freshwater spring (amazingly clear & cold) and is surrounded on most sides with high bush. What hit me was the fluctuation in light levels as clouds came past. And how parts of the spring in shade had really low light levels.

It’s hard to get to this spot and I would really appreciate some input about what kind of light I should aim for eg if I try at mid-day to maximise light is this likely to blow out the contrast/highlights on the vegetation etc? I could try a lightly overcast day for more even lighting but I think light levels will be too low? Is it best to just go for as much light as possible in these situations?

Any thoughts or ideas greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by Ole; 11-17-2012 at 05:04 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Non-relevant picture removed

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG, Robin.

This is a film only forum. You may want to try DPUG.com or somewhere else for digital specific questions.

As to lighting, which is not that different from film to analog, you are running into a classic problem. It's so classic, most photography classes teach this as direct lighting and defused lighting. You are right in every aspect of your observations. There is no such thing as "perfect" lighting. Lightly overcast days, which is often called "open shadow" are the easiest. Colors are reasonably bright and vivid and contrast range is smaller and easier to manage. "As much light" is probably something you would NOT want to do.

What kind of "mood" are you going for? Or, are you just trying to capture all the shade and color without blowing out or blocking up? You can take great photographs in each condition. We need to know what you want before anyone can give you an advise.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    This is a lighting specific question in the lighting subforum. Not a digital specific question.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Every room in the house has exclusive lighting style needs. Cooking places and family bedrooms need fantastic process and common lighting style. Other places may also require lighting style that adjusts to a range of actions...

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin